Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Liking the Smith machine

Its not??? im confused :confused: lol

lol...

I used to know someone who looked fuckin awesome...huge and ripped, and he used to train with light to medium weights....amazing genetics? yes...but if something works for you, why change it and try to lift heavy?

Personally, I lift very heavy, but not everyone does that and a lot of people look waaaay better than me and lift not nearly as heavy...

I waited for a while and it came to pass, I thought you guys would start baggin on this guy, but I'll tell you what after something like that you're not sure of what you can really do and if you dont have a spotter then its worse. Give the guy a break at least he is trying.

You young guys think that your are so hot shit, but then you get old too!!!!!!! so remember that!!!!

I have a new right hip joint and was doing leg presses to put some beef back on my chicken legs. I had gone over 2 months with no real work on the quads.

The action of the leg press was very much like laying on a sled with a fixed platform for the feet. It was easy to run up the stack at 400 lbs. This was not a true lb for lb resistance.

Then I saw the Smith Machine and was cleared by the surgeon to use it. I've been doing squats down to parallel, raising the weight progressively over 4 sets, and then down to the start weight. Total of about 7 sets. Nothing fancy. M/W/F

I really like this machine! All the stress is on the quads with no pain in the hip joints.

I can only do 155, but I believe I can run it up a lot more over the next 6 months and bring the legs up. I'm also hitting the hams on the seated machine and the calves on a standing machine that runs up to 500. I recommend the Smith Machine.

Hey bro I've used the smith too and although I dont use it now
there's nothing wrong with using it.

I know that you will get stronger and eventually get into the squat cage.

I've had shoulder probs and knee probs and the smith really has its place when you need it.

Keep going bro we're all here for you!!

I personally like the smith machine! I use it alot especially because I WO alone with no spotter. As you young terds get older all that heavy lifting reaks havok on your joints. I have been lifting since I was 14. Not consistantly but off and on problay 10 years total. I also dislocated most of the fingers in both hands, hyperextended both elbows and dislocated one shoulder and slight dislocation on the other.
Sure I like to lift heavy weights to shut up you young guys at the gym; I can squat 400, bench 365 but I don't lift super heavy everytime I hit the gym. It's not just about size it's about quality of size.
And lastly you guys need to show "The Lion" some damn respect! This guy is for sure helpfull and has been around a long time. He really helped me last year with some great info!
Hope your recovery goes quickly and good luck to you LION!!!

Just about everyone at my gym used the smith machine, the two asian chuckle brothers their use it every workout for their fucked up version of power shrugs, whenever Im their someone is using it, besides me I have seen 2 people use the squat rack lol. It cant be that bad though otherwise people wouldnt use it. Its good for the smith machine version of squats where you position your self with your feet alot further, like in a wall squat, this hits your glutes and hams more than your quads. Iv never tryed doing them but Iv heard their good. But like most people will say, for maximum strength development free weights will almost always be superior to machines and cables...

Thats my understanding of the subject anyway.

Last edited:
I have a new right hip joint and was doing leg presses to put some beef back on my chicken legs. I had gone over 2 months with no real work on the quads.

The action of the leg press was very much like laying on a sled with a fixed platform for the feet. It was easy to run up the stack at 400 lbs. This was not a true lb for lb resistance.

Then I saw the Smith Machine and was cleared by the surgeon to use it. I've been doing squats down to parallel, raising the weight progressively over 4 sets, and then down to the start weight. Total of about 7 sets. Nothing fancy. M/W/F

I really like this machine! All the stress is on the quads with no pain in the hip joints.

I can only do 155, but I believe I can run it up a lot more over the next 6 months and bring the legs up. I'm also hitting the hams on the seated machine and the calves on a standing machine that runs up to 500. I recommend the Smith Machine.

You do well being cautious, never know what it can happen, I would suggest you doing squats with dumbells, if anything and if you don't have a spotter it's easier just dropping the dumbells on the floor, plus the fixed range of motion of the smith machine can exert negative forces on your joints once you get those numbers higher, dumbells will allow a more natural range, plus you will be working on your grip at the same time. Cheers bro.

Why do you need a spotter for squats. Just set the power rack at the your lowest point of control.

Top Bottom