Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Fighting a mountain lion

ziggyziggy said:
Compared to a handgun round, a rifle round will win every time. I have carried a .45 ACp and a 9mm as a sidearm in the military. But NEVER have I considered a handgun a a primary weapon ... only as a secondary weapon in the case that my primary weapon (an assault rifle or main battle firle) is out of ammunition or has a malfunction. No one with any credible combat experience will consider a handgun to be a primary combat weapon, as they simply lack the stopping power to qualify as one.

Yes, the SF community has been pushing the production of a 6.8mm round for their assult rifles to augment the power of the 5.56mm round. However, the 6.8mm round does not penetrate body armor, especially level 3 -4 plates or the equivalent, in my experience, to justify the interest. Anyone with military or law enforcement combat experience will tell you what they would prefer to have in their hands. It would not be a .45 ACP handgun...

Zig

it's not a matter of preference
it's a matter of performance
many militiary officers have had call to use their .45 sidearm and still no complaints
and again to the hunting examples (which actually fit more in line with the argument)

redguru said:
I am not doubting the power of any centerfire rifle cartridge vice that fired in a handgun. But the problem is if you are walking in the woods and it isn't hunting season, in most states it is illegal to carry a rifle. So normally I would be carrying a sidearm (for snakes and such).

I don't generally carry a gun or even a knife so I'd have to just really hope the cat didn't want to eat me very badly
or luck out and find a rock or something

I heard from a number of sources around here a .22 will stop a lion easily, the sound will more then likely scare him away. I think you'd have to be near the den for it to contenue to attack you.

As for a .45 thing I've talked to someone who said he usess a load on his .45 that drops whitetail deer as quick as his 30-06 does. I guess the type of ammunition is what counts.

These arent facts but things I've heard by talking to people so im not sure about them but I'd imagine them to be true since its coming from older experianced outdoorsmen.

I also heard pepper spray is one of the most usefull things to scare away bears and mtn lions. Also its legal to carry.

I read that pepper spray was nearly useless against bears...

and for the .22 I'm talking about Lion Lions not mountain lions

This post is hysterical. :FRlol:

I seriously doubt a single person would survive an encounter with a mountain lion. Obviously, even with bare hands, it's possible. However, it is highly unlikely. The odds will be stacked against you in most every way possible, and you had better be damn lucky to pull out of the encounter alive.

Kane Fan said:
I read that pepper spray was nearly useless against bears...

Where'd you read that? I've heard from quite a few people who say its the best thing to use. Sometimes if you shoot a bear you can get in a bit of trouble with the law.

Also heard sometimes its more dangerous to shoot and wound a bear, as compaired to spraying the eyes with some pepper.

Sure, if you shot me I'd be pissed. However, spray my eyes with a foreign substance so they feel like they're on fire and all is forgiven. :rolleyes: Just playing, man.

I don't think many people would give a shit about the law, especially if the bear is attacking you. In fact, you can just yell "it's comin' right for us!" and you're in the clear!

Tom Treutlein said:

I seriously doubt a single person would survive an encounter with a mountain lion. Obviously, even with bare hands, it's possible. However, it is highly unlikely. The odds will be stacked against you in most every way possible, and you had better be damn lucky to pull out of the encounter alive.

The average adult male cougar is 110 pounds. That's like a big dog.

They will try to get the back of your neck with a criplling strike, but failing that will just bite & claw. That will cause a lot of nasty cuts but none expressly lethal. I'd say death is far from guaranteed

Tom Treutlein said:

blind luck is pretty much my method of dealing with a mountain lion attack
I'll help blindluck along with some kicking and screaming like a little girl but I can't be sure if that will work

Top Bottom