GEORGE SPELLWIN'S ANNOUNCEMENTS

Second DL workout in a suit


Welcome to the EliteFitness.com Bodybuilding Site! Please join this discussion about Second DL workout in a suit within the Weight Training & Weight Lifting category.

Excerpt: Thanks to everyone who helped me out with advice after my last DL workout! I got some wrestling shoes ($15 on clearance at The Sport's Authority) and I learned how to pull myself down to the bar for this workout. I pulled 595 very solidly today, and narrowly missed 625 at the lockout due to grip failure and a torn callous. My raw best 2 weeks ago was 550! I'm not going to say that I got 75 pounds out of my suit, but it sure helped. So, I guess I need to work on rack pulls, shrugs,

Read more or register here to join the discussion below...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Good Broly
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    151
    Rep Power
    0

    Talking Second DL workout in a suit

    Thanks to everyone who helped me out with advice after my last DL workout!

    I got some wrestling shoes ($15 on clearance at The Sport's Authority) and I learned how to pull myself down to the bar for this workout.

    I pulled 595 very solidly today, and narrowly missed 625 at the lockout due to grip failure and a torn callous. My raw best 2 weeks ago was 550! I'm not going to say that I got 75 pounds out of my suit, but it sure helped.

    So, I guess I need to work on rack pulls, shrugs, and grip work in order to bring up my lockout stregth. 900, here I come!

  2. #2
    Pro Bodybuilder Screwball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    1,091
    Rep Power
    0
    Hell of a pull, Skizac! It looks like you're on a roll.

    I pulled rack-pulls (@ mid-shin) yesterday for ME day. In order to get the bar at mid-shin I used a plastic aerobic step (4"). Of course when I pulled, the the aerobics step would give a little so it made it that much, more difficult to get the bar moving off of the pins. I pulled triples up to 405 raw. Then I pulled 495 for a double and 585 for a single with just a belt. I went for 635 but could only break it off the pins about 2". Surprisingly my grip held up nicely with just a slight slippage at 635.

    An exercise that has worked for me lately at increasing my grip strength is 1-handed deadlifts. Some pull all the way from the floor with the barbell at the side of the body (like lifting a suitcase) but I set the bar on pins and pull the barbell only 5"-6". I usually do reps of 3-5 with 95 - 135 - 185 - 225. I can only pull the 225 for one, very difficult rep. After the reps I do timed holds with either 135 or 185. Hold the damn thing until it falls out of your hand. Your mid-section, especially the obliques, is hit really hard too. I always do these after I pull heavy for the pre-exhaustion effect. The balancing of the barbell in one hand really stresses the grip so I feel they're better than dumbbells. If you give these a try or if you do them now let me know what you think of them. Thanks.

  3. #3
    Registered User Deciever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,352
    Rep Power
    0
    nice lift man! very impressive. Good luck getting your grip strength up to where you want it to be.

  4. #4
    Good Broly
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    a LaBoRaToRy In FlOrIdA
    Posts
    241
    Rep Power
    0
    skizac,
    hell of a pull man that is awesome. what a great pull. definitley do your rack pulls heavy and shrugs heavy, and do all sorts of grip exercises, i can tell you some if you want, but im sure you might now some too. so how much of a difference was it to stand stiff legged and pull yourself down?

    trust me i know what it feels like to have a torn callous and it sucks. did u bleed alot? cause mine did.

    congrats and good luck next time!

    FREAK19

  5. #5
    Good Broly
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    151
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally posted by Screwball
    Hell of a pull, Skizac! It looks like you're on a roll.

    I pulled rack-pulls (@ mid-shin) yesterday for ME day. In order to get the bar at mid-shin I used a plastic aerobic step (4"). Of course when I pulled, the the aerobics step would give a little so it made it that much, more difficult to get the bar moving off of the pins. I pulled triples up to 405 raw. Then I pulled 495 for a double and 585 for a single with just a belt. I went for 635 but could only break it off the pins about 2". Surprisingly my grip held up nicely with just a slight slippage at 635.

    An exercise that has worked for me lately at increasing my grip strength is 1-handed deadlifts. Some pull all the way from the floor with the barbell at the side of the body (like lifting a suitcase) but I set the bar on pins and pull the barbell only 5"-6". I usually do reps of 3-5 with 95 - 135 - 185 - 225. I can only pull the 225 for one, very difficult rep. After the reps I do timed holds with either 135 or 185. Hold the damn thing until it falls out of your hand. Your mid-section, especially the obliques, is hit really hard too. I always do these after I pull heavy for the pre-exhaustion effect. The balancing of the barbell in one hand really stresses the grip so I feel they're better than dumbbells. If you give these a try or if you do them now let me know what you think of them. Thanks.
    I'm not sure I understand your rack pulls. Is mid shin only like 2 inchies higher than where th bar would normally be? I always thought that rack pulls were done with the bar starting in a higher position. I guess they can be done many different ways.

    I will defintely do the one handed pulls next Thrusday. Sounds like a killer exercise. I used to do one handed side bends with a dumbell, but dumbells don't really go high enough in weight for that.

  6. #6
    Pro Bodybuilder Screwball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    1,091
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm not sure I understand your rack pulls. Is mid shin only like 2 inchies higher than where th bar would normally be? I always thought that rack pulls were done with the bar starting in a higher position. I guess they can be done many different ways.
    Yes, Skizac. The power rack that I train on doesn't have pin holes all of the way to the floor. I put the pins in the bottom position and then stand on a 4" aerobic step. The end result is the bar is moved up about anothe 4"-5" in my stroke. The bar sits about 4" below my kneecap. I am 6'2" and have long lower legs so that may explain your misunderstanding. Keep training hard!

  7. #7
    Pro Bodybuilder Screwball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    1,091
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm not sure I understand your rack pulls. Is mid shin only like 2 inchies higher than where th bar would normally be? I always thought that rack pulls were done with the bar starting in a higher position. I guess they can be done many different ways.
    Yes, Skizac. The power rack that I train on doesn't have pin holes all of the way to the floor. I put the pins in the lowest position and then stand on a 4" aerobic step. The end result is the bar is moved up about another 4"-5" in my stroke. The bar sits about 4" below my kneecap. I am 6'2" and have long lower legs so that may explain your misunderstanding. Keep training hard!

  8. #8
    Good Broly
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    151
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally posted by FREAK19
    skizac,
    hell of a pull man that is awesome. what a great pull. definitley do your rack pulls heavy and shrugs heavy, and do all sorts of grip exercises, i can tell you some if you want, but im sure you might now some too. so how much of a difference was it to stand stiff legged and pull yourself down?

    trust me i know what it feels like to have a torn callous and it sucks. did u bleed alot? cause mine did.

    congrats and good luck next time!

    FREAK19
    Thanks man! For grip, I plan on doing one handed deads ala Screwball, farmer's walks, and the no. 2 captain of crush gripper. You got any other good ideas?

    Pulling myself down from a stiff legged postion made it much easier to get down to the bar. Previously, I was wasting about 10% of my energy just fighting against the freakin suit!

    The torn callous didn't bleed too much, but it took a large amount of skin off. Hopefully I can get it to heal in a week's time if I keep Neosporin on it and change the dressing regularly.

  9. #9
    I didn't notice, but what kinda suit do you use? and have you tried others in the past, which do you like best. Nice lift by the way.

  10. #10
    Good Broly
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    151
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally posted by Dickvanveiner
    I didn't notice, but what kinda suit do you use? and have you tried others in the past, which do you like best. Nice lift by the way.
    Titan NXG. It's my first suit. I inherited it from Kirk Karwoski, so it's a little loose.

Similar Threads

  1. Inzer Z-Suit or Champion Suit?
    By bigscottishbastard in forum Weight Training & Weight Lifting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-Apr-2008, 08:47 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 25-Aug-2003, 11:41 PM
  3. Champion Suit vs. Z-suit
    By Deciever in forum Weight Training & Weight Lifting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-Jul-2002, 09:59 PM
  4. First workout in squat suit and set a NEW PR
    By FREAK19 in forum Weight Training & Weight Lifting
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-May-2002, 04:42 PM
  5. bench suit and squat suit???
    By gorth97 in forum Weight Training & Weight Lifting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Oct-2001, 07:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •