Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

5X5 Journal: A HIT'er Experiment

go2failure

Background:

15 Years Training (layoffs here and there due to job/spread out college), lots of athletics during that time including college football

Injuries:

both ankles sprained twice, pulled right hamstring, sprained/strained back 4 years ago (cautious approach to deadlifts)

Gear: N/A

Supplements: PURECEE, Levorex

6'0 221lbs 10% BF

16.75" arms
33.5" waist
17" neck
25.5" thighs
17" calves
12.5" forearms
53.5" chest (over arms)

Being a HIT follower over the past 3 years, I took a look at some of the links madcow provided me and I became interested in trying a DT program. That being said....

I just finished my first week of Madcow's variation of the 5X5. I did not rep test to get these weights, which may set me back, but here is how it went:

Day 1:

Squat (DEEP) 5X5 --> 225
Incline Bench 1X5 --> 135, 155, 185, 205, 225
Row 1X5 --> 95, 115, 135, 155, 175 (think I went to heavy, anyways these are new to me)

Day 2:

Squat (DEEP) 5X5 --> 205
Deadlift (No Straps) 5X5 --> 185 (started new stance)
Military 5X5 --> 95 (lol, was way light)
Pullups 5X5 --> BW (got all reps)

Day 3:

Squat (DEEP) 1X5 --> 235
Incline Bench 5X5 --> 205
Row 5X5 --> 135 (I was able to concentrate more on form with this weight)

Last edited:
I rest quite a while, depending on the lift. DL's I wait like 5-6 minutes, maybe more on the last two sets. Chins I hardly wait (relatively speaking- like 2 minutes). On 1x5 I don't rest much on the way up, but the last one gets a full song on my iPOD to get into my trance before I attack the weight :chomp:,

Not sure if this is "right" but I'd rather wait a tad longer than rush it and miss a lift.

Ok, I thought that I may have been rushing it.

I was going to my next set after changing weights for my partner and the completion of his set. Usually about 1:00.

I know I'll have to increase the rest in about a week or 2 as the fatigue sets in.

BTW,

I have been doing a under 100 carb per day diet with plenty of protein (sometimes under 50 carbs depending on my schedule and whether or not I worked out that day).

However, I have noticed that I'm much fuller and tighter on 5X5 over just a week.

Mainly, I want to be: stronger, fuller and tighter.

I would also like more size on my arms to match my legs and chest size. But, I would not be upset with all around LBM

go2failure said:
BTW, what is a good time to rest between sets for this program?

for strength training the general guidelline I believe is 3-5 minutes
when I do a Cycle type program tho with the lighter weights (early in the Cycle) I don't take that long, more like 2 maybe 3 minutes
as the weights mount I get the full 5 and more if I feel like it

I take about 2 minutes in between most sets except maybe the deads where I might take 3 minutes. Anything longer than thay just feels wastefull.

go2failure said:
Mainly, I want to be: stronger, fuller and tighter.

I would also like more size on my arms to match my legs and chest size. But, I would not be upset with all around LBM
Cool. Sounds like you're on track. Personally I'm not huge on macronutrient manipulation- I've started being mindful of simple carbs late at night, but other than that I eat whatever and it doesn't seem to matter what it consists of as long as I don't go overboard. I used to carb-count but since I've stopped I really haven't noticed any appreciable sloppy weight but I sure don't miss worrying about carbs.

Top Bottom