Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr on Getting Bigger Arms

Great...except paragraph 3 took me immidiately out of the article. He says doing straight up arm work will not build noticable size...then one sentence later he says it will give you a comical physique. WHICH IS IT? If it doesn't build arm size, then why would he talk about how you will look disproportionate?

Sorry. Two thumbs way down. Terrible writing in my opinion.

Not that I disagree entirely with the concept, I just think it's a Micky Mouse article. I agree 80% with what was said. And it is clearly made up to boot.

Great...except paragraph 3 took me immidiately out of the article. He says doing straight up arm work will not build noticable size...then one sentence later he says it will give you a comical physique. WHICH IS IT? If it doesn't build arm size, then why would he talk about how you will look disproportionate?

Not that I disagree entirely with the concept, I just think it's a Micky Mouse article. I agree 80% with what was said. And it is clearly made up to boot.

True, if the beginner puts in a great deal of work, he may in fact increase the shape of his arms. However, seldom does he add any noticeable size to them. Giving the arms priority while neglecting the other bodyparts will also result in a comical physique. Large arms on a proportioned physique are admirable, but they are not on a person with skinny legs and a flat, undeveloped back.

He said neglecting other body parts while concentrating arms will do that. He also said it seldom adds noticeable size but that he may in fact increase the shape of his arms. You can call it terrible writing if you wish, but I think his point is both completely obvious and logical.

I seriously doubt the anecdote is made up. This guy spent almost the last 50 years training athletes, was the strength coach for a super bowl team, been staff at Hawaii and Johns Hopkins, and held world records for lifts in the 50s and 60s. I'm sure somewhere in that time he probably has had this experience numerous times. He made a career off this very scenario.

What about muscle recovery? Muscles need time to mend properly in order to build mass. If you're just starting out, you need to listen to your body- let the tissues repair themselves. When you feel much better, i.e. not so sore, then hit um again. This may take a week, but you should find the healing time narrowing soon enough to perform this exercise as stated above.

What about muscle recovery? Muscles need time to mend properly in order to build mass. If you're just starting out, you need to listen to your body- let the tissues repair themselves. When you feel much better, i.e. not so sore, then hit um again. This may take a week, but you should find the healing time narrowing soon enough to perform this exercise as stated above.

Your body will adapt to this type of training frequency quite fast. Even beginners. Also the frequency of squats and preses gives the new lifter plenty of practice. It's not uncommon for oly weightlifters to squat four or five times a week in some form or another. These guys are some of the strongest people in the world.

I'd say you have terrible comprehension skills, try re-reading the paragraph you question, maybe by the 3rd or 4th time through you'll understand why.

Judging anything by muscle soreness is one of the biggest Body building myth's there is (aside from "the pump" meaning anything.

As SouthernLord said, the body will adapt.

The soreness you feel is simply because the muscles aren't conditioned to the work you are giving them. It is absolutely no indication of when the muscles are ready to train or how good of a work out you have given them. It simply means that they are not conditioned to the work you gave them.

Sometimes the best thing for soreness is to train that body part. After a period of time away form the gym, I'll do squats on monday. My legs will still be sore by wed but after I do a few sets of squats (after proper stretching) the soreness is gone. After a week of squatting 3x per week the muscles are conditioned to the work and that soreness isn't there any more.

Try a program like the one describes in this article, you will see that what he says is true, and probably won;t want to go back to your old type of training, just like the guys in the article.

I was one of those guys in this article. A walking BB mag cliche, right down to the gay ass gloves and straps. The only information I had at my disposal back then was the BB mags, so of course I believed every word I read. Why not? I mean the guys in the mag were huge and the mag said this 50 set bie routine is what they did to look like that, why would I not want to train the way the mag tells me...

A few years back I found this site and Madcow, I was getting nowhere with the BB type split so I figured what do I have to loose, I gave the 5 x 5 a shot and never looked back. Everything madcow was saying about training, soreness and the body ability to adapt, training the core lifts and not worrying about isolation, over reaching not over training, etc. were true. I made more gains in 3-6 month's time then I ever did in all those years of on and off BB mag training.

I'd say you have terrible comprehension skills, try re-reading the paragraph you question, maybe by the 3rd or 4th time through you'll understand why.

Comprehension? Paragraph? Are those even real words!? Quit showing off, we're not all PhD in here...

You're kidding right? No wonder you don't understand what you are reading.

Dictionary.com is your friend.

I think you have terrible reading between the lines skills. Re-read my response to you and maybe by the 4th time through you'll realize that you are being made fun of. Overtly.

No routine or concept by itself will yield the results you looking for if you dont have the GENETICS to get there....I dont care what routine you are doing!

Top Bottom