Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Hi Guys.

I have just started this program but I have 3 burning questions which I hope you can help me with.

1) On the spreadsheets I have seen of this program, there is no reference to chins/pull ups on a Wednesday but in many of the threads I have read on this subject, people often mention doing the chins/pull ups on a Wed. Which way is correct?

Do the chins on Wednesday. You dont NEED to do them but if you want do them on wednesday after everything else.

2) I really want to improve my Bench PR (My current PR is 110kg). With this in mind, would it be better for me to do incline bench press on a Wednesday instead of Military press?

My bench went up even tho i did military press instead of incline. For some reason I dont like the idea of chest 3x a week and absolutely no shoulders.

3) If I chose to do incline instead of military, what effect, if any, do you think this would have on my shoulder strength/conditioning?

Thats all depends on each person, but I would think that your shoulders wouldnt get any stronger. Maybe even weaker. I would try to keep the military in 1x a week on wednesdays. Its only 4 sets anyway

Many thanks for any help.

read above

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Madcow,

Can I do both cleans and rows? It's hard to just dump one since both are very good. Would doing this overtrain the lower back and screw up my deads?

Mon: squat, clean, bench, row
Wed: squat, dead, press, chins
Fri: squat, clean, bench, row (some assistance for arms and calves)

My bench is also on a plateau. I believe training them on Fri and again on Mon is probably not allowing enough recovery. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Madcow,

Can I do both cleans and rows? It's hard to just dump one since both are very good. Would doing this overtrain the lower back and screw up my deads?

Mon: squat, clean, bench, row
Wed: squat, dead, press, chins
Fri: squat, clean, bench, row (some assistance for arms and calves)

My bench is also on a plateau. I believe training them on Fri and again on Mon is probably not allowing enough recovery. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Dude i think with heavy enough deads and the pullups you will get enough back work. Maybe do more than 3 sets for pullups instead of adding rows AND cleans.

Doing bench 2x a week is fine. If you really are on a plateau then make sure you start the program with light weight. Make sure your 5RM is not till week 4. I would also not do the accessory work on Friday if your bench doesnt go up. It should tho it worked well for me and I used to be the bench king, been benching for 6 years

I'm an "old man" (45) this is my "friday" for this routine.So far so good! Thanks alot Madcow!

Where can I find the download of the spreadsheat that the geocities link refers to in the first post, that link isn't working.

do you mean this?

5x5 Calculator

Thanks for the answer, but that's not the one.

I would like the one for the 5x5 advanced, and according to this text:
Loading/Volume (Weeks 1-4)

Exercise Sets x Reps
Details

Monday
Squat 5x5
Bench 1x5
Barbell Row 1x5

It's not, becuase the Squats should be a 5x5 (same weight for 5 sets), but the calculator on that link shows a serie of increasing weights for the different sets (1x5).

Tblock1, I will not pay for it, but I would really appreciate if you could email it to me.

what is the benefit of ramping over doin a regular same weight 5x5?

Top Bottom