Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

I am having some trouble with pendlay rows... I find that small changes in the form lead to massive changes in the amount of weight that I can use. As a result, it is hard to guarentee that I am progressing properly.

What I mean is that, if I move my lower back just a little, what was difficult is now easy. And it is hard to keep my form the exact same each workout.

Should the bar come up and physically touch my body, or just get close? Depending on the form I use, it often feels almost impossible to pull through that last inch without moving my back up.

One more thing... I can bend the full 90 degrees and arch my back, but it requires significant bending at the knee joint. Is this right?

Yes it is right and safer to bend your knees, there some great videos on youtube showing the perfect form, the bar should touch your abs not your chest...

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Hmm... he says to hit the stomach, but both in the pics & the vids the bar doesn't seem to touch.

In the guys video, you can see how he does loosen his torso in the final reps to get the weight up. If done strict, he probably wouldn't have got those reps... but he probably wouldn't have hit the muscles as hard. The problem arises, how much movement of the torso is OK, and how would you know when you surpass that limit, and aren't really just making progress, but just loosening up on form?

Hmm... he says to hit the stomach, but both in the pics & the vids the bar doesn't seem to touch.

In the guys video, you can see how he does loosen his torso in the final reps to get the weight up. If done strict, he probably wouldn't have got those reps... but he probably wouldn't have hit the muscles as hard. The problem arises, how much movement of the torso is OK, and how would you know when you surpass that limit, and aren't really just making progress, but just loosening up on form?

Well with heavy ass weight some form deteoration usually happens, but don't get too carried over by it, one or two "lazy reps" and that's it.

Like Glenn said lock the shoulder blades on top, this will determine how much raise do you need to do strict reps and you should work with that mindset.

sorry if this has been answered..but i am a little confused why week 4 is constantly being brought up as using your 5RM. Lets say my 5RM is 100. would the lifter go
WEEK 1: ramp up to 85
WEEK 2: ramp up to 90
WEEK 3: ramp up to 95
WEEK 4 : ramp up to 100 (their 5RM)
(these #'s loosely based on the 2.5% of the 5RM)

so simply: we are using less weight of our 5RM from weeks 1-3 then the 4th week we hit our "true" 5RM, then make some serious progress.

am i correct?? or am i clear? lol sorry if im not, im not the best at explaining things by typing

sorry if this has been answered..but i am a little confused why week 4 is constantly being brought up as using your 5RM. Lets say my 5RM is 100. would the lifter go
WEEK 1: ramp up to 85
WEEK 2: ramp up to 90
WEEK 3: ramp up to 95
WEEK 4 : ramp up to 100 (their 5RM)
(these #'s loosely based on the 2.5% of the 5RM)

so simply: we are using less weight of our 5RM from weeks 1-3 then the 4th week we hit our "true" 5RM, then make some serious progress.

am i correct?? or am i clear? lol sorry if im not, im not the best at explaining things by typing

You are on the right path.

Hello everyone. I am using the 5x5 program for about 1 month now, the strenght gains are awesome especially on barbell row and bench press. My question is, today i have to do either incline bench press or military press. Shall i do the incline since i have being doing military for the the past 4 weeks? or shall i stick ot military for the time being since i am a beginner?

Hello everyone. I am using the 5x5 program for about 1 month now, the strenght gains are awesome especially on barbell row and bench press. My question is, today i have to do either incline bench press or military press. Shall i do the incline since i have being doing military for the the past 4 weeks? or shall i stick ot military for the time being since i am a beginner?

If you are progressing on the military why change? if you are not prgressing you might wanna give inclined a shot.

I came back from the gym now. sorry korin didnt see your advise before so i said for a change i will do incline...

so today i did Squat 4x5 190lbs, Incline 165lbs deadlifts 255lbs . i am 5.8 weight 183lbs. How does my numbers show? :)

Top Bottom