Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How come we can't make a damned tank barrel???

Bullets from our Shermans bounced off of the Tigers and Panzers, not to mention the KIng Tigers.

So we design the "ultimate" tank, the A1 Abrams at 4.5 mill/per. Guess what? The loads were not impressive. Se we wound up buying the friggin barrels from.........Germany.

Whats up with this? Why do we make weak guns?

Testosterone boy said:

Bigger cartridges do mean more heat if that is what you are saying. I'll take some extra heat to have a bigger, faster bullet though.

so soft! and fluffy, too! jesus 2 loves it!

j to da 2

I doubt that the US can't make a good barrel. They have fielded more than adequate 155mm howitzers which were completely US made and this engineering could have been applied to tank technology. I'm betting that the armed forces were looking for a specific type of main gun setup and the german producers had the exact solution, so they used that option.

The US put a man on the moon, I'm sure they could develop an excellent weapons system for the Abrams. As for the Sherman, sure it lacked fire power (even when given a heavier gun), but you've got to look at the production numbers in the situation as well. The tooling and industrial equipment was set up to produce shermans at an amazing rate. The Tiger and KingTiger's reputation exceeds their true ability to wage war on the Western allies in France during 1944-45. The shermans rate of production overshadowed any combat inadequacies it may have suffered. This was still no comfort to the poor bastard who had to face a Tiger riding in one of those deathtraps.

Kalashnikov said:
I doubt that the US can't make a good barrel. They have fielded more than adequate 155mm howitzers which were completely US made and this engineering could have been applied to tank technology. I'm betting that the armed forces were looking for a specific type of main gun setup and the german producers had the exact solution, so they used that option.

The US put a man on the moon, I'm sure they could develop an excellent weapons system for the Abrams. As for the Sherman, sure it lacked fire power (even when given a heavier gun), but you've got to look at the production numbers in the situation as well. The tooling and industrial equipment was set up to produce shermans at an amazing rate. The Tiger and KingTiger's reputation exceeds their true ability to wage war on the Western allies in France during 1944-45. The shermans rate of production overshadowed any combat inadequacies it may have suffered. This was still no comfort to the poor bastard who had to face a Tiger riding in one of those deathtraps.

You talk about rate of production then admit that the Sherman was a "deathtrap" when facing a Tiger?

Sure we can make big barrels, no different than making small barrels. The fact remains, we found our Abrams ballistics to be inadequate and buy the barrels from Germany.

Ever heard the quote "Amatuers talk tactics while professionals talk logistics" (or something like that at least) ? The Tiger was mechanically unreliable and used a shitload of fuel, among other things. When you want to use Tigers and KingTigers to attack (like in the Battle of the Bulge), you need mechanics, fuel trucks, drivers to drive all the fuel etc. This is what caused the attack to fail after the big, bad Tigers were done doing their damage. They ran out of fuel and just had to wait for the supply line to catch up to them.

Tens of thousands of Shermans were produced during the war, while only about 1,200 Tigers were produced. I called the Sherman a "deathtrap" because it was known to have a tendecy to burn for a while and catch on fire pretty easily. The truth is, the American doctrine of tank warfare regarding the Sherman did not include giving it the capability of destroying german armor. It was meant to support the infantry and break holes in enemy infantry lines. It's a shame that the crews of the Shermans were told that their tank could destroy any tank they came up against.

Top Bottom