Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

protein and lifting

Ed Harris

is it ok to consume protein powder when your training is based on cardio ? or it could turn into stored fat, I don intense cardio 5 days a week and I was planning to have a shake after.

You still burn calories, so it is fine to use protein. As long as it fits in your daily calorie count and macros, it is perfectly fine to use protein shakes and they will not get stored into fat.

Calories are either excreted, burned or stored. If it's not excreted (poo, pee or sweat) then storage only happens if it's in excess of your needs. A protein shake (perhaps with a little carbs) sounds good following intense cardio should be fine assuming you don't exceed your requirements.

i'm not sure what kind of cardio you are doing. but if you are doing any sort of high intensity cardio you cannot drink protein powder during it or you will get sick

stick to sipping water, a lot of runners just sip and spit water as you don't want anything in your stomach

Protein is the hardest macronutrient to turn into body fat. If you were to consume a protein shake VS a carb drink like gatorade after your workout, it would be much less likely for the protein shake to be stored as fat.

I think consuming protein after your workout is a great idea. Very few endurance athletes get enough protein in their daily diet. Any form of working out will put stress on the body so your protein requirements will be higher.

What exactly are you hoping to get out of having a protein shake? It isn't a magic supplement. Just add in a shake if you don't eat enough protein in your diet. It doesn't really matter when you have it but I wouldn't chug it around your cardio time unless you want to puke.

Top Bottom