Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Box Squat Note

GRIMMER

Hey Fellas i just wanted to throw this in because i thought it was important. I trian by myself for the most part and don't have anybody to look at my form very often. Although i have been doing these for a year or so i still find that i don't always do them with perfect form. I have found from my experience and from watching others that one of the most common mistakes is not arching the back hard enough.
Today in the gym i was trying to coach myself to get back into the best form possible and the only thing that i find is that i have little or no arch in my back. today i worked on it and found that it is so much easier and effective to sit back to where you put all the emphasis on your glutes and hams when you have a hard arch. After all , one of the main reasons to do the box squat is to work these muscles and to sit back.
the reason that i don't all the time is because i don't feel as tight when i do it although i do sit back.

I just wanted to throw this out there for those of you who train by yourself and don't have someone to watch you. Remember to arch hard and sit back and the movement will become much more effective.

Just as a side note , I find that when you have a partner that can tell you to , sit back , push your knees out , arch your back , spread the floor , ECT. that they are invaluable to training properly. Try to tell yurself one or two things right before you lift to focus on and it can help you right away. Today i said to myself "arch your back!!!" before every lift.

Later

GRIMMER said:
I just wanted to throw this out there for those of you who train by yourself and don't have someone to watch you. Remember to arch hard and sit back and the movement will become much more effective.

Just as a side note , I find that when you have a partner that can tell you to , sit back , push your knees out , arch your back , spread the floor , ECT. that they are invaluable to training properly. Try to tell yurself one or two things right before you lift to focus on and it can help you right away. Today i said to myself "arch your back!!!" before every lift.

Later

The hardest person to train is yourself. Having a second or third set of eyes in training is invaluable. My problem also is not arching hard enough. I am working on it. A mistake that I am working on getting out of is losing my air on the box. Instead of stayin tight....if I dont actively concentrate on it I will lose my air and that makes me lose my arch and drop my chest.

Thats the great thing about box squats however. The number of first reps. It is a great teacher....just easier if you have someone there to remind you. That way you can just move the weight.

Arch your back till it starts to cramp...thats a good arch

I know what you mean when you lose yourr air. Around the 6th or 7th set i am usually huffing and puffing pretty good so trying to hold that air in for any longer than a breath is tough.

Start dragging the sled and endurance wont be a problem. Mine is not a question of fatigue...when I am in shape my heart rate never gets out of hand even when doing box squats. Mine is just a technique problem that I WILL FIX!!!:mad:

Box Squatting...

Excellent post, Grimmer! I could not agree with you more about arching the back as hard as possible and sitting back when box squatting. This post is a great reminder for all of us to really focus on technique. It's much too easy to go to the gym and "go through the motions" without focusing on the real goals - increasing strength & perfecting technique.

I also try to break down each lift into steps and visualize in my head how the lift is going to be performed. When I perform the lift I run through the steps in my mind as I actually perform the lift. Focus on a few basic lift performance steps (i.e. squatting - set the weight, strong arch, big air, sit back, get to depth, explode out of the hole, head & shoulders lead, knees out, break the bar, hips forward, set the weight). Now, this is quite a few steps and each will have their own personal weaknesses and these personal weaknesses should be the focus for each respective lifter. The key to this technique is to use it each and every time you perform the lift. It is similar to a golfers or baseball players pre-swing routine. If you use the technique when performing warm-up sets then it will become second nature. This becomes important when using maximal weights because the mind tends to become focused on only functioning with the central nervous system to fire muscle fiber maximally. This is why many lifters describe maximal lifts as mind-clearing. You don't know what the hell was going through your mind; the only thing that mattered was lifting that damn steel. I know personally that when I have thoughts running through my mind as I lift, (i.e. Do I need to get a bigger singlet? This one sure is tight. - Dumb, shit like that.) I never have my best attempts.

Grimmer, great start to a thread that everyone can benefit from.

GRIMMER said:
do you drag instead of your max day or after it or what.

4 to 6 hours after you lift is best. Check out Spatterson's post about her New Split....I wrote it for her..and the prescribed dragging for active recovery is listed there.

It makes a WORLD of difference...

An article by someone that knows alot more about it than me...

http://www.testosterone.net/html/body_146gpp.html

Last edited:
just a quick question on the box squat.. i know your supposed to sit down on the box and relax your muscles, but how long are you supposed to pause?

alright... the one guy who was mentioned in my "westside....a gimmick thread" was trying to explain to me that i shouldnt' pause because it places a large amount of stress souly on the back, which isnt good and cause problems.. so he was telling me that i should just tap it and then go back up... any opinions on his theory?

Top Bottom