Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr 5x5 Intermediate Question

coreyb

So I've been doing the beginner 3x5 for about 3 months now and I think it's time for me to move on to the intermediate version. I've reset all my lifts twice already and all my weights have stalled for about 5 workouts now. Plus, for the first time, I've been experiencing a ton of weakness/soreness in all knees and a little in the wrists.

Here's my before and after for all my lifts in case that helps.

Squats = +55 lbs
Bench = +26.25 lbs
Deadlift = +61.25 lbs
Military = +22.5 lbs
Row = +22.5 lbs

Would you recommend any changes or reramps...or is time to move onto the intermediate program?

Also, if I end up doing that version of the program, I was wondering if I could switch out the light squat day on wednesday and put in front squats instead?

And if I can, do I copy the weights from the first 4 sets of back squats or leave it as a seperate thing...

any other info and help is appreciated.

corey. :artist:

coreyb said:
So I've been doing the beginner 3x5 for about 3 months now and I think it's time for me to move on to the intermediate version. I've reset all my lifts twice already and all my weights have stalled for about 5 workouts now. Plus, for the first time, I've been experiencing a ton of weakness/soreness in all knees and a little in the wrists.

Here's my before and after for all my lifts in case that helps.

Squats = +55 lbs
Bench = +26.25 lbs
Deadlift = +61.25 lbs
Military = +22.5 lbs
Row = +22.5 lbs

Would you recommend any changes or reramps...or is time to move onto the intermediate program?

Also, if I end up doing that version of the program, I was wondering if I could switch out the light squat day on wednesday and put in front squats instead?

And if I can, do I copy the weights from the first 4 sets of back squats or leave it as a seperate thing...

any other info and help is appreciated.

corey. :artist:

Move on to the intermediate, reset weights down about 20lbs and work back up from there.

I don't see any problem with subbing front squats in for day 2, however, it still should be a "light" squatting day. But don't copy over your day 1's first 4 sets and expect to do those for front squats. Make it much lower...most peoples front squats are around 75-100lbs lighter than their back squat.

As far as your joints, lifting progressively heavier and heavier takes its toll on them. If you want, before you start the intermediate, either take a week off completely and rest... or start back extra light to give your joints a break. Or, third option...just continue as normal.

GL bro.

Are you good at squats? Do you know why your knees are feeling sore? Adding another ten reps to your workout isn't going to make the weakness/soreness go away- it will worsten it.

What about front squats- how long have you been doing them, if at all? Personally I like light days with front squats because they're so difficult. If I'm going to put so much stress on my torso and be choked half to death I want to know the weight I'm using is well within my capability.

Just run the program bro... no subs until you stall. That light day isn't there for to take up space on the paper... it definitely has a role in your super compensation towards day 3, I've definitely noticed that.

ok, thanks for the advice guys.

I have no problem just running the program...but lately I've been practicing the front squat and have started to really enjoy it. Plus I'd like to spice things up a bit instead of just doing straight back squats.

also, I've never done any assistance work since I started this program. Would there be a problem with just leaving that shit out?

I've got a follow up on this question. The routine just calls for lifting on Mon, Wed, Fri. Is it okay to lift every other day instead, because I can't stand being away from the gym. Will the program still work?

You can save the arm stuff at the end of friday for saturday, maybe add in a little power shrugging or gay ab work or cardio. You don't want to kill yourself for your core lifting days of m-w-f or whatever days u choose.

blueray4 said:
I've got a follow up on this question. The routine just calls for lifting on Mon, Wed, Fri. Is it okay to lift every other day instead, because I can't stand being away from the gym. Will the program still work?

Stick to M-W-F. No more...

I would stick to M-W-F. This program will wear you so you need as much rest as you can get. I usually will do front squats on Wed. Oh, yeah. I would do a deload week before you start cause sounds like you need it.

Perp

Top Bottom