Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Increasing tendon strength

Nutrient-Nut

By Brian Batcheldor (S-Files)

Q: I understand that anabolic steroids assist in muscle growth and possibly help the tendons, as well. Is there anything out there, solely for your tendons, that can triple or quadruple their strength? Maybe someone was experimenting with something back in the early part of the century and didn't know what they had—there's always a possibility.

Also, is there anything out there that increases adrenaline dramatically? I've read about experiments in the Soviet Union that were used to assist in muscle growth, endurance, speed, and just incredible power period.

A: Contrary to popular belief, anabolic steroids are far from helpful with tendon strength. Although much of the research is conflicting, the conclusion drawn from the majority of the research and most anecdotal evidence indicates that therapeutic dosages (do you know anybody taking those?)—when taken for a short cycle—may help tendon injuries by increasing collagen synthesis and tendon density.

However, when you use the normal dosages used by many bodybuilders, we see a completely different scenario: decreased collagen biosynthesis; dysplasia of collagen fibrils; stiffer tendons; and decreased tensile strength. In summary, the short-term use of some anabolics, e.g. Deca, would likely help with connective tissue injuries, but the normal pattern of use with bodybuilders would likely lead to an increased incidence of them.

There is much evidence, however, to support the use of GH and IGF-1 as means of increasing tendon strength or recovering from tendon/ligament injury. I have personally tried localized tendon injections of IGF-1 on several athletes with much success after they had been plagued with the same injury for a long time—sometimes several years.

The good thing with these agents is that, unlike anabolics, they offer support over the long run. By the way, as I mentioned in an earlier article, sodium pentosan polysulfate is an excellent product for connective tissue injuries or conditions such as tendonitis and would be a good thing to include in any anabolic regimen as it also lowers cholesterol.

As far as adrenaline elevation, I have commonly witnessed the use of adrenaline injections normally administered for anaphylaxis (e.g. reactions to bee stings) during powerlifting competitions. It may be fine for peak performance during some events or occasional workouts as part of a well-planned cycle, but doing this regularly, such as during training sessions, will bring about a catabolic state after a while.

Of course, endocrine stimulation that induces ACTH elevation in a burst pattern leads to a corresponding testosterone elevation. However, prolonged continuous elevation results in exactly the opposite effect, as witnessed after depot injections of ACTH.

Wow, that is a FANTASTIC article. First thing that came up on a search for "tendon strength." Interesting conclusion that lower dosages of AAS DO help tendons, but higher dosages I guess puts too much strain on them. So it's not a matter of AAS is good/bad for the joints, it's a matter of dosage.

There are AAS that will increase collagen, but anytime one takes supraphysiological doses of test with their cycles (which is usually the case, especially with BB's) their collagen synthesis actually reverses to less than the natural rate. EQ, deca, primo, and var will increase collagen synthesis if taken without test. I would recommend gh @ 3-4 iu's a day for 6 months, and a couple 20 week cycles of EQ only.

krishna said:
There are AAS that will increase collagen, but anytime one takes supraphysiological doses of test with their cycles (which is usually the case, especially with BB's) their collagen synthesis actually reverses to less than the natural rate. EQ, deca, primo, and var will increase collagen synthesis if taken without test. I would recommend gh @ 3-4 iu's a day for 6 months, and a couple 20 week cycles of EQ only.

So what is a good recommended dose of test to supplement with say, deca, if one is looking to improve collagen synthesis?

njmuscleguy said:
So what is a good recommended dose of test to supplement with say, deca, if one is looking to improve collagen synthesis?

If it's mainly for collagen synthesis, you should be fine with 200-400mg for about 20 weeks. You can throw some test in if you want, but no higher than 125mg/wk. Collagen systhesis takes a long time, so longer cycles are required.

krishna said:
If it's mainly for collagen synthesis, you should be fine with 200-400mg for about 20 weeks. You can throw some test in if you want, but no higher than 125mg/wk. Collagen systhesis takes a long time, so longer cycles are required.

20 weeks of deca? even at lower doses like 200-400mg, wouldn't that shut you down pretty hard? - wouldn't recovery be especially difficult?

njmuscleguy said:
20 weeks of deca? even at lower doses like 200-400mg, wouldn't that shut you down pretty hard? - wouldn't recovery be especially difficult?

Run bromo with it. My last cycle was eq weeks 1-25 weeks, and deca weeks 10-25. I ran the eq at 600mg and the deca at 400. I ran bromo with it, and was able to recover just fine. I threw some small doses of test in there a few times also (125mg a month). I had a chronic problem with my elbow, which is why I did this cycle, and it really helped it out a lot. I also had no libido problems while on because of the bromo.

Top Bottom