Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Anyone ever weigh their weight plates?

Rich_S

OK, I'm an anal son of a bitch. Anyway, I have a shitload of Olympic plates (all different brands) that I've acquired over the years and I decided to weight them.

Here are the results:

2.5, 5, 20 (I acquired two of these oddballs as part of a set years ago), 25, 35 - All weighed within 1/2 lb +/- their indicated weight. So far so good.

10 - All my 10's weighed 11 lbs.

45 - All my 45's weighed 48 lbs. :(

That kinda pisses me off. If I had 4 45's and a 10 on each side of the bar, it should be 425 lbs, but instead it's 451. That's a big difference.

Anyone else ever weigh their plates?

TheProject said:
Not to be difficult, but...how do you know the scale you used to weigh them is accurate?

I don't. But even if it's not accurate, it appears to be pretty precise. So, if in fact the 45's do weigh 45 lbs, that would mean that all of my other plates are significantly underweight.

you know what dude, same here, i used a weighted scale though.. like, the ones from a doctors office.. when i first bought a 300 pound set, i already had 2 other 300 pound sets that were given to me. and the new set felt heavier, especially the 45's. like 225 felt like 235-240.. any way, i felt the difference so i weighed them, they are close to ur measurements...

its kinda weird. but good, cuz in the summer is when i first got my "heavier" weights, so when i did 225 at my house id get like 8-10, and at the gym i got 12.. it was awesome.. :)

i think the weight is wrong cuz they are generic, as opposed to Ivanko or Weider.. mine dont even have a name, just say, made in china...

i had a friend who owned a fitness store and used to let me weigh plates before i bought them. they had a counter balanced 300lb scale.

STANARD plates varied 42-48lbs.

IVANKO plates where on the money....but the cost 2 1/2 times as much.

R CRUSHER said:
i had a friend who owned a fitness store and used to let me weigh plates before i bought them. they had a counter balanced 300lb scale.

STANARD plates varied 42-48lbs.

IVANKO plates where on the money....but the cost 2 1/2 times as much.

Now I just need to find a bunch of 45's that weigh 42 and I'll be set. :)

didn't realize there was a difference between ivanko and standard. Although some places I've lifted I could DEFINATELY feel the weights were heavier. You always have to "get used" to the weight when you start liftin at a new place too.

I weighed my bumper 15kgs to see what they came out to be. I bought a set of weights off a guy...he used the bumpers as plates I guess???

I have weighed bars before too. Not the olympic bar but like the ez curl and others.

Top Bottom