Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

any endurance athletes out there?

sorry FHG, I didnt even see those PM's! I just sent ya one tho. And I hear you all too well on getting sick, I have to really starve myself to get to that point though. Probably because I dont really have any other responsibilites outside of racing so I'll get up and train and then if Im not eating alot I end up with no motivation and spend the rest of the day sitting around and sleeping. Kinda sucks, but it beats getting sick. Howd that 200k with no food go? I'll keep a clif bar in my pocket for insurance but I think I've had the same one for over a month, I dont use sport drink either, just water. I do eat a large breakfast before the long rides at this time of year however as Im not overly concerned with my weight. ummm, cocaine? I've heard of guys using it before cyclo cross races but I dont think its a great idea. Its an addictive drug and its just not good for you. It's effects only last 45mins to an hour so it'd be useless for a long road race. And where did you hear Merckx and Moser used it? The only guys I've heard of testing positive for it are Salvatore Commesso and Luca Bramati.. I also spoke with a friend of mine who went to Europe to race cross and he claims to have seen Daniele Pontoni blow 3 lines before a race. Seems like an Italian thing. I dont think it is needed to win cat. 2 road races in America however, hard work will help out much more.
rider

damn

Damn! i had forgotten about Cammesso. I've heard of local dudes around here doing it for athens adn shelby etc. It's a big drug here on campus, too. As far as moser and merckx, I had read that somewhere. Probably in Voet's book or just listening to dudes talk who think they know all (we all know cycling communities have plenty of those).

In response to everyone's "don't eat before you ride" I 've been doing it since monday (x2 3.5 hours rides) and it wasn't all too bad. I didn't bonk as I had expected like last winter when I had gotten down to my all time low that spring. I was wondering though if the reduction in calorie intake by skipping breakfast would hamper recovery of my leg(i'm almost 1 month out from surgery). I usually can't get up and ride in the morning because i've got 8 am classes every morning. So what I've been doing is eating a light breakfast of water, raisin-bran, and a banana or apple or orange. I've been trying to drink less juice for a while now... it's hard! then I go to class until around noon and then I ride for however long usually at my "tempo" or my "buen tempi" which i set after a i get out of town and am warm. I can feel the right place to be and i stay there. Usually around 75-80% (just below my lt) of my max of 209. I try to work at or just below the hr's i'm at while chillin' in the feild when i'm racing. I got 10 hours on the bike last week. Last year at this time I was max'd @ 30 hrs. This season is going to blow! At least it won't be as exspensive as last year.

A word of advice- don't take vioxx unless you're not planning on riding for a while. When i first wrecked, I was racing the next weekend with torn ligaments and a Fx'd patella. A friend of mine who is a walking/driving/riding/living pharmacy hooked me up with some Vioxx and that sheeeot werx!(@ 50mg/day sometimes)(if you take more than 20 and it still hurts, then don't ride!) I had no idea how well it worked and most definetly did more damage then good. Point being, Vioxx is good stuff.

When do races usually start out there in SoCal? I have a friend who lives in the bay area (not a cyclist) and they've invited my training partner and I to chill with them in Feb. Are there races then?

Btw, exams blow gypsie crotch!

Rolf:horny:

Rolf-
I don't think restricting calories will inhibit recovery from your surgery. Just don't restrict them too much. Actually you don't need to restrict them at all just time the meals well and consume the amount of calories you expend. Timing wise I'd say eat very light before your ride and during the ride. Wait awhile after the ride to eat a meal and then eat a few smaller meals thru the day. Cyclists need protein so take in lots of protein. Would shark cartilage or MSM help your injury recovery? Eat lots of fruits and veggies-they have phytochemicals which are very good for you. Phytochemicals are mysterious little things and I don't know much about them, but their best source is natural fruits and veggies and I think they have a very very powerful antioxidant action.

FHG

altitude tents

anyone ever hear about those altitude tents or chambers that you sleep in? I know Lance Armstrong uses one. I put it up on the board because living at altitued stimulates your body's natural stores of EPO, among other things. Anyone know if the tents are that effective?

dieting

Remember, you can juggle your diet around your key races workouts. I'm a runner, so if I'm going to do a 20-miler (for cyclists--your longest ride of the week), I will eat a light breakfast and maybe use some cytomax and/or Gu during the run. However, for most of my runs, I try to go on an empy tank, which also prepares your body for the later parts of a race when you are low on glycogen. That way I get the added performance benefit of carbs during my key session, which also gives me practice for race-day nutrition. And I also make sure to be properly fueled for races. But, I agree, for day-to-day training, it's better to suffer a little by eating less and be leaner on race day. Just make sure you eat enough for races.

Altitude tents=Good

The tents work. Most people report a 8-10% in hematocrit levels when using tents. At one point the Postal Service team talked about turning their team bus into an altitude chamber so every guy on the team could benefit from altitude effects. The tents are expensive so not every guy on the team can afford one.

FHG

Altitude tents=Good

The tents work. Most people report a 8-10% in hematocrit levels when using tents. At one point the Postal Service team talked about turning their team bus into an altitude chamber so every guy on the team could benefit from altitude effects. The tents are expensive so not every guy on the team can afford one.

FHG

Last edited:
The Brotherhood

Ah I'm back after a month or so of nordic ski training. Glad to see this post is kicking ass! Just thought I'd mention for any eduros from the frozen north that skate skiing is one of the best things you can ever do for maintaining aerobic base in the winter. I have never been more fit come March than when I ski all winter.

Alright quick catchup: Rider, what happend to Matt Kelly?

and Triguy, how did you determine optimal dosages of GH? I am contemplating but without insulin. I'd really like to here details of how it's working for you.

Peace to everybody else.

must...keep...posting...

Kirk...to Enterprise...

Come in...

Spock...If you can hear me...BUMP this thread...

F...H...G

Top Bottom