GEORGE SPELLWIN'S ANNOUNCEMENTS

When is it OK to kiss with COLD SORES??

Welcome to the EliteFitness.com Bodybuilding Site! Please join this discussion about When is it OK to kiss with COLD SORES?? within the Anabolic Steroids category.

Excerpt: I get a cold sore about once per year. Its never been serious because I've always just taken valtrex when they appear. My question is: How Long after Valtrex is started before I can kiss my GF?? What about ########?? The cold sore I have now is almost comletley gone after running a full course(10 tabs/1000mg day) of valtrex???????? Is a cold sore only contagious when its an open sore?

Read more or register here to join the discussion below...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

When is it OK to kiss with COLD SORES??

I get a cold sore about once per year. Its never been serious because I've always just taken valtrex when they appear.

My question is: How Long after Valtrex is started before I can kiss my GF?? What about ########?? The cold sore I have now is almost comletley gone after running a full course(10 tabs/1000mg day) of valtrex????????

Is a cold sore only contagious when its an open sore?

*MissFit*

Re: When is it OK to kiss with COLD SORES??

yes it is

Cold Sores fall into the category of Herpes Simplex Virus type 1 and will remain dormant in nerve endings once you are initially infected (usually as a child). The usual timeframe for cold sores to run their course is 8 to 12 days. During this time they should be considered contagious, especially when the blisters break open. Over the counter medications will not cure the condition but they will reduce the effects and any discomfort to some degree. Make sure you clean your hands thouroughly after applying anything to the affected areas as the virus can be transmitted to other parts of your body with serious consequences.

I remember reading some information about L-lysine (amino acid) and how it has been found to limit the reoccurances of the virus but you will have to check into that.

aboooooooooooot.............eh! EH! abooooooooot!!

they are at their 'most' infective with open weeping sores but are still infective otherwise, the only time they are at their lowest infectivity is when they are gone completely, I;d even give it a few days just to make sure

Acyclovir reduces viral replication, guessing valtrex is this. but this can happen....HSV-1 (mouth sores) can go to HSV-2 (genital) so be extra careful with your gf until they are gone
    Love is the dressing on the salad of life.

You don't need it.

It makes you fat.

'is love enough to live on' (satanic goatslayer 2002)

roidpuple

I have been with my wife for 6 years she gets them about every 3 months or so..
    I am sure i have sliped up and kissed her a few time during this time...
    and i have never gotten one... I dont think i can get them acuaully...

you should wait until they are gone, as the possiblity of contaminating the other person is always present with weeping/open/healing tissue. Wait until the tissue is healed and the sore is gone.
    Hope I helped.

Thanks to all who replied.

I've been doing some research and it turns out that Valtrex actually reduvces the chance of spreading the virus. That being said, I avoided kissing for 5 days and I wont being going downtown for at least another week.

Good Broly

Quote Quote posted by danielson
    they are at their 'most' infective with open weeping sores but are still infective otherwise, the only time they are at their lowest infectivity is when they are gone completely, I;d even give it a few days just to make sure

Acyclovir reduces viral replication, guessing valtrex is this. but this can happen....HSV-1 (mouth sores) can go to HSV-2 (genital) so be extra careful with your gf until they are gone
    Wrong. HSv 1 Will always be HSV 1. Hsv 2 will always Be Hsv 2. Hsv1 has a site preference of the mouth or that general region. HSV 2 has a preference of Below the waist. THere have never been cases of cross infection. HSV 1 can be transfered genitally although rarely, it happens. HSv 2 is extremely rarely seen orally. That is because most people have hsv 1 there anyways, 80% of population and because it isn't a site of preference. IF you did get hsv 2 orally or hsv 1 genitally you might never even know.

aboooooooooooot.............eh! EH! abooooooooot!!

Quote Quote posted by johnny g
    Wrong. HSv 1 Will always be HSV 1. Hsv 2 will always Be Hsv 2. Hsv1 has a site preference of the mouth or that general region. HSV 2 has a preference of Below the waist. THere have never been cases of cross infection. HSV 1 can be transfered genitally although rarely, it happens. HSv 2 is extremely rarely seen orally. That is because most people have hsv 1 there anyways, 80% of population and because it isn't a site of preference. IF you did get hsv 2 orally or hsv 1 genitally you might never even know.
    key word here is 'preference'....the texts I had read have said that there is a possibility of crossover, it is worth pointing it out even if it is slightly rarer

You are right in that you would probably never know which subtype of herpes you had due to their clinical similarity, but this lends more credence to the fact it is possible (and goes undiagnosed) and thus I would want to know about any potential risks to myself or my gf if I were asking the question
    Love is the dressing on the salad of life.

You don't need it.

It makes you fat.

'is love enough to live on' (satanic goatslayer 2002)

Depends if she's ever had it before.

If she has, it doesn't really make a difference. The virus is in her blood already anyway.

Either way it probably just looks nasty and does she want to kiss you with sores in the first place?