Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is Homosexuality A Perversion Of God's Will???

"If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn the other also."

Of all the teachings of Jesus, this certainly leaves the most confusion.

Most folks pretty well ignore it. You hear it quoted a lot, but in the negative: "I'm not turning the other cheek! You hit me, I hit you back."

Then again, other folks take it so literally, they make it an invitation to be abused.

I've heard clergy tell battered wives & abused children, it's their "Christian duty" to go back home & take some more.

Well, if you think Jesus taught that, then somebody sold you a brutal lie.

Sure, on the surface, it sounds that way: "If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn the other....."

But if nothing else, this should prove that, in reading the Bible, we must understand its culture & people.

I'm indebted, again, to Professor Walter Wink, for the scholarship. Because he points to Jesus' specific reference here, to the "right" cheek. (1)

And we have to know: this was a totally "right-handed" Biblical world.

As in India today, the left hand was used only for unclean functions, & it was not used for anything in public.

We discover in the Dead Sea Scrolls, that if you even gestured with your left hand, you were sentenced to 10 days penance.

So in a right-handed world, how do you hit someone on the "right cheek?"

Can't do it with your fist, or with an open handed slap. You can only reach the left side, that way.

To hit someone on the right cheek, means you hit them with the back of your hand.

And in that rigidly, class-structured society, that was for only one thing: to insult & humiliate someone.

Legally, you were not allowed to hit someone of equal rank with the back of your hand.

That was reserved for abusing your inferiors - those who are less than fully human.

A master hit a slave with the back of the hand. A Roman hit a Jew that way. An adult would strike a child - a husband would humiliate his wife, with a back-hand slap.

One ancient law decreed: If you hit an equal with a fist, it was a fine of 4 days wages.

But if you used the back of your hand on an equal, the fine was 100 times that - for the insult.

The famous code of Hammurabi: if an inferior dared hit a superior with the back of the hand, punishment was 60 public lashes with an ox whip.

When Jesus pointed to the right cheek, everyone who heard him, knew that he was speaking, not just of being hit, but being humiliated.

And how did he suggest responding?

Not with violence. That would just bring on society's violence, & anyone who thinks Jesus would counsel returning violence anyway, has not understood the cross.

But neither did he teach just "taking it," & doing nothing. That's cowardice, & anybody who thinks Jesus wants cowards, hasn't looked at the cross either.

No, Jesus says, "In response, turn your left cheek toward your oppressor."

Because what happens then?

He can't back-hand you again, because that would mean using the forbidden left hand.

To hit you again, he's got to use his fist. And that would be making you his equal.

He can hurt you, yes, but he can no longer humiliate you. To continue, he has to acknowledge you as a human being.

Obscure detail - here 1900 years later, where "left hand" & "back-hand" are irrelevant?

No, you see, Jesus is not suggesting a new law to be followed every time you get hit. As a tactic, it would work only once, 'cause it depended on the surprise involved.

Jesus' timeless teaching here, is that we are not to cooperate with this world's patterns of humiliation.

Don't let people humiliate you. Without descending to their level of violence, still don't accept their degrading of you.

"Be creative" Jesus says. "Outsmart them. You can do it, because you've got truth on your side."

As Bishop Juan Gerardi of Guatemala proved again this week in his assassination, even if the world is going to kill you, it cannot defeat your dignity or your truth.

Don't give in to the put-downs. That's worse than getting clobbered.

#1 - Don't let anyone humiliate you, even if they have the power to hurt you.

And #2 - Don't participate in the humiliation of anyone else.

In the earlier gospel verses, Jesus gives an ascending order of judgement, for those who, even verbally, degrade someone else.

"Anger" is mild. "Insult" is medium. Calling someone "a fool" is the stuff of Hell.

Again here, the translation fails. The word isn't "fool" in Hebrew. There is equivalent English, but we don't use it in scripture lessons.

It's used in traffic, when somebody cuts you off.

Degrading someone, is the stuff of hellfire, Jesus says.

#1) Don't accept humiliation. Don't give in.

#2) Don't humiliate someone else, not even with words.

And #3) Don't sit by for the degrading of anyone. Nobody can get away with it, if you object. By your objection, you unmask the oppressor & you give dignity to the abused.

Why is it so important?

Well, you see, now we're going to receive Holy Communion, & we're going to sing another Easter hymn to close.

And we affirm that we're "not of this world." But we may also begin to feel, we're not in this world either.

But we are.

And this world thrives on the humiliation of people.

It happens at work all the time - it's done in the family - it's the rule in school & community: putting people down.

It's expected today - books tell you how to push your way by intimidation & humiliation.

If you go out to eat today, just watch what goes on with bus boys and waitresses.

The Kingdom of God is not off somewhere in "never-never land."

It's right here, in this world, in little sproutings of you who will not live by the rules of the game.

Walter Wink points to St. Mark's account of Communion.

Jesus sent disciples into Jerusalem, remember, & told them to follow a man carrying a water jar, to the Upper Room.

There's another kick in the pretensions.

Men didn't carry water jars in that world. That was women's work - degrading for a man. Just another example of Jesus' radical denial of hierarchy.

In fact, when Matthew re-wrote Mark's story, he took that detail out. Poor chauvinist guy, just couldn't handle the host of the Last Supper, being such a wuss.

Come receive Holy Communion, & ask Christ to be as patient with us, as he must have been with Matthew -

Ask God to build around you, a safe place -

Where nobody is abused or humiliated.

-----------------------------------------------------------

http://www.wpe.com/~firstumc/In03.html

Bestiality and married men having sex with temple prostitutes are two good examples of the passage might have been talking about. Homosexuality is a possibility, sure. But the point is, that's your interpretation (which you are welcome to) not the word of God. I just think we might be a little happier if we all realized this. The important parts (don't kill, love your neighbor, etc) are spelled out really clearly. Why not argue passionately for turn the other cheek, or let he who is without sin cast the first stone, which are both clearly spelled out, and not spend so much time on this other less important stuff?

I will admit you have done some research.I am sure,however,that homosexuality was NOT an accepted practice in the times of Moses for example.Adultery and fornication was punishable by death but homosexuality was somehow OK?I don't think so.
Wyst,do you believe in God or the Bible since you say:"the important parts"?

My point was what the scripture actually said(particularly the OT).I was not talking about my personal views on homosexuality or morality.Contrary to most on this board I have actually read the whole book cover to cover but I don't think it's the word of God.

I am a moral relativist.
Might is right!
There is no right or wrong!

musclebrains said:

I think it really goes something like this: "The way you love is a sin. I hate your sin. But, because Jesus told me I should, I love YOU. Nevertheless, the way you love is, like all unrepented sin, going to cost you eternally. Nothing personal. I didn't make the rules. God did. And the rules are in the Bible -- well, they are in the Bible *I* read. Of course, I ignore many of the sillier Levitican rules myself, because, well, you know, they, um...they're, um, culture-bound to their time and we're wiser now, but, um, of course, this one about sodomy and shit is still valid...because, um, God told me so in a personal conversation."

who are you quoting here??

not I

musclebrains said:

I'll repeat myself. Gay people want the freedom to love without fear and recrimination. You want to regulate people's freedom to love. and you have the balls to say you're doing it on God's behalf.

I never said anything about regulating---I just stated my stance on the fact that it is a perversion of God's will.

Just like a liberal to take everything and twist it around----cause you got your feelings hurt.

Top Bottom