Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

yet another ? on carbs/seratonin etc

skydancer

In reading the recent threads on how low carbs effect seratonin, estrogen and how the body may not be prepared for a higher amount of carbs when you crave them most....

What about cycling lower cal/carb weeks with higher cal/carb weeks?

Specifically eating 2 wks at about 1500 cals, 150g or so carbs then eating 2 wks at about 2300 cals, 300g carbs.

Would you be doing your body more harm then good?

I certainly don't know the answer to that one Sky. I would speculate that if the extra carbs came from mainly fibrous veggies and fruit (as opposed to grains) that it wouldn't hurt you fat loss efforts, and may help. But I'm truly guessing here. I think it might also be worth trying the same thing, but raising your protein or fat instead of you carbs. After all, 150g carbs is not exactly 'low carb' dieting. I think the only way to know for sure is to try it!

This whole carb issue must do the same thing to my brain that algebra does - can't fricking understand it no matter how hard I try. Fibrous carbs are better for fat loss than grain based carbs - why????? I understand calorie density and satiety and GI but is no a gram of carbs x number of calories no matter the source? I can eat 1/2 c of oatmeal and be happy for hours, I can eat 10 cups of broccoli and I still want my oatmeal. Is there any difference in the fat loss you see as long as the carb grams are set ex. you eat 20 g or carb period irregardless of the source.

The only real difference in the carb source is how your body sees the carb. Fibrous veggies are very slow to digest and release their carbs so you pancreas almost doesn't see them at all, especially if they're eaten with proteins and fats. Oats are digested and broken down to glucose much quicker than veggies so have more of an impact on insulin production. Now remember that blood glucose/insulin levels inhibit fat burning and encourage fat storage and you will see that the veggies are better for you fat loss efforts. The likely reason that your body still craves oats even after 10 cups of broccoli may be a combo of the broccoli carbs take a while to do their job, and I think insulin surges are addictive. In other words, your body expects (sometimes demands) an insulin surge when you eat, and lets you know about it when it doesn't get one! For most people this really is just an addiction IMHO.

Top Bottom