Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Wich Rep and Set Scheme Would You Prefer?

Wich Rep Scheme Do You Think Is Better?

• Total voters
S

ShowKidd

personally i often question whether or not a 3x10 is as effective as picking a weight that you would fail at about 15 reps on the first set,keeping the same weight for the next 2 sets but failing at about 12,10, or (12,10,8,). the reason why i think the first example isn't as effective as the second one is because you have to pick a weight that you wouldn't reach FAILURE on the first set or probably the second, you need be able to last till the last set and still bang out the full 10. but with a set/rep scheme like 15,12,10 or 12,10,8 you are picking a weight that you would FAIL at on the FIRST set and obviously the last 2 sets as well because you wouldn't be able to repeat that number of reps 2 or 3 sets in a row if you truly went to failure on the first set, so the reduced number of reps allows you to keep the same weight but still hit failure.

one more thing i would like to point out is 3x10=30 reps, and you are not hitting failure on the first 2 sets and maybe not even on set 3. the 12,10,8=30 reps as well but you are hitting failure each time so wouldn't you also believe that to be more effective?

also so for people that like doing 4 sets like me especially when you are on cycle and can handle the volume 15,12,10,8 or 12,10,8,6 would also work great IMO.

totally does not matter to me. I can get just as much out of either rep scheme in terms of hypertrophy and development. When you quit worrying about rep #'s and start putting your mind into your muscle, and focusing on squeezing and contracting every rep to the max, then the results start coming

When you exaust the typr II muscles and keep going at a higher rate, the type II are no longer working, but you are pumping more blood into the area and increasing mirochondria activity. In other words, it's all good.

For most compound movements 5 or failure works for me, i.e. I go for 5 reps or total failure - whichever comes first.
For isolation work usually 10 - 15.

Ill start with my heaviest set and gauge it for 10 (if i get 12 or 8 its all good as long as i get muscle failure :)

then i'll drop the weight accordingly to get another full 10

then again and again

I feel I get similar results on 10, 8, and 6 reps. When in doubt I switch out to a 10x3 and I can even keep my movements the same, but it sends a nice shock to my system.

There's no magical rep and set scheme, but it seems to be agreed upon that getting into about 24-30 reps per is ideal. 3x10, 4x6, 5x5, 10x3, etc.

The 10x3 is seems to be effective as a change because it is a such a big departure from what we all normally do.

Top Bottom