Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

whole wheat bread vs. white bread

R

Rolls Royce

tonight at the supermarket, i compared a loaf of whole wheat bread to a loaf of white bread. the grams of protein, carbs, and fat were almost identical.... what is the big advantage of eating whole wheat bread? i always thought that it was lower in fat, but that's apparently not the case.

in addition to GI, processing, fiber already mentioned...healthier/higher quality breads will be made without 'bleached' or 'enriched' listed in the ingredients... better breads are made from whole grain and will be heavier

As far as dieting goes, and probably health too, they are about the same. The fat,carbs, and protein ratio is almost identical as rolls said. Its almost like eating white bread then taking a fiber supplement, or mixing 5 grams of shredded fiber in dextrose. Most foods with fiber in them are considered good because they tend to be low in calories too. Wheat bread is a processed food too, I'm pretty sure. I think Good carbs are the ones that are non-processed and have fiber in them naturally occuring. If you got to chose one, then I guess wheat is slighty better if it has extra fiber. Both are too high in calories to be considered great dieting foods though.

Whole wheat bread tastes better anyways... white bread is like paste. Whole wheat bread has more flavour and texture IMO

I would like to clear up something here, the fiber content in both "commercial" wheat and white breads are mainly made up of insoluble fiber. Insoluble fiber only has an impact on slowing down gastric absorption when it is in an intact grain. In the processing of both these breads, the intact grain has been destroyed by the grinding process. Therefore, they both have nearly the SAME GI rating. Of course, this will all change once it is ingested with something else, which in effect, will change the GI altogether again.

MR. BMJ

What about the Wonder bread wheat lite its has 80 calories; o fat; 18 carbs; and 6g protein Per 2 Slices?

Top Bottom