Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

WHEN does a Calorie actually become a Calorie?

Tha One CrumCake

I know this sounds weird, but it's something that has been on my mind..

Ok , when does , let's say you eat a tuna sandwhich, when do those calories actually start to equal calories? After digestion? During digestion? Before digestion?

Hmm, well if that's tha case then something like Watermelon would probably turn to a calorie before digestion? Tuna after digestion. ?

This has to do with the molecular structure of the macronutrient.

For instance, in your saliva there are enzymes that break down starches. So, when you eat a potato, the second it hits your mouth, digestion begins.

Also, you have to keep in mind that all food substances are not the same. For carb type stuff, the amount of fiber effects the glycemic index, that is, the rate that it is converted to simple sugars, passed in to the bloodstream and effects the insulin levels.

For animal proteins, the digestion and absorption happens farther down the digestive track as the stomach acids and enzymes do their part to break the macronutrient down to the micronutrient level (I.E. proteins to amino acids).

You must have quite a bit of free time on your hands to be pondering such mysteries as these....:D :D

Top Bottom