Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What are some tips so I don't lose muscle while running speed distance?

cwc73

When I say "speed distance," I mean compared to myself. I'm talking 10:15 mile and a half. Thats the average or maybe a little slower.
I could care less about losing fat; I just don't want to lose muscle. So with that being said, what are some things I can do so I don't lose muscle? I am currently Strategically Deconditioning from my first HST cycle with mad results!
Now, I am preparing for an Air Force PFT. I have the oppurtunity of gettin a pilot slot because I am stratified highly within my class. I want to bring my PFT score up to make me more competitive. So, I am highly concerned with running distances of 1.5-2 miles. The optional PFT is next Wednesday and I think a manditory one is a few weeks out. I have gone from a fastest time of a 10:57 to last time which was 12:00, and I ran 1.5 miles yesterday at 10:12.
So again, any tips on what I can do to keep from losing much needed muscle?
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chris
K for help

not a speed runner myself (I just jog for 45 min at 5.5mph)... but from what I read you will need to train in sprints... most likely HIIT sprinting.

Compare the bodies of marathon runners with sprinters...

The catch here is that sprinting is anaerobic, reason why the longest sprint is 200 mtrs...

So I am thinking a combination of sprinting HIIT, legs workout for mass and incline threadmill running should work for you.

Pintoca

well I have to run distance becauseI get rated on my PFT. So I have to run that 1.5 mile fast.

I know, still believe the combination of leg workout for strenght/volume and incline running is the best in this case... that is how they train soccer players here... and those mofos can run!!!

Yea. I'm in ROTC and for pt on M,W,F, we do a good bit of sprinting instead of distance. Which is why I am running on the side.

I play University football and i too am concerned with losing muscles mass while training for aerobic fitness. I have a huge incline stair case near my house which goes up a mountain.

Not really sure how to run up that many stairs but when i do got a got method of training for these?

ex: sets of 5 up halfway pause then sprint rest up etc. etc. blah blah

Drinking Gatorade might help. I'm guessing your body will choose to burn the carbs before it burns your muscle.

flowerz said:
Drinking Gatorade might help. I'm guessing your body will choose to burn the carbs before it burns your muscle.

This is actually excellent advice... I overlooked this entirely!!! Drinking carbs while foing cardio will make your body go for those carbs instead...

Catch is: You will not burn muscle, but not fat either...

Top Bottom