Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What rice is a better alternative to white rice?

jojo77

I know white rice is not good for you but I want something healthier that is at least similar. What's a healthier rice to get?

anythihng that looks like it just came out of the earth

is brown rice good to eat? or is it just better than white rice? I watch my carbs, but im not on a no carb diet etc. I eat wheat and multigrans and oats.

brown parboiled rice is great. Just be careful because a little rice is a lot of carbs. I think a cup (cooked) is close to 40 grams.

brown rice (not instant)
basmati

i found some stuff called texmati i'm gonna try out. it's american long grain brown basmati - yes brown basmati. i always though there was one kind of basmati, but apparantly there is white, light brown, and brown. anyone know how good this stuff is - taste wise and health wise?

thought this may be of interest to you all.

"Texmati Brown Basmati Rice
This aromatic rice is sometimes called "Popcorn Rice." It does smell like popcorn when you cook it in a pot. It smells more "nutty" when steamed. It is said to have the lowest GI of any rice. Remember that rice, even legal rice, should not be a central component of the meal, just a side dish. All rice is in the moderate to high range. Instant rice of any kind is NEVER legal.

Although brown rice and basmati rice are both legal also, this is the rice with the lowest GI and, in my humble opinion, the best flavor! Follow the simple instructions on the container for best results or experiment until you make it work in your favorite rice steamer."

http://www.prettyimpressivestuff.com/sugarbusters/sb_staples.htm

of course this is coming from the sugar busters list, but still something i thought i'd share.

Soaking your brown rice for 22 hours improves the nutrient profile. In particular, lysine content will increase by a factor of 3. This makes it a better source of protein. It also gets sweeter and cooking time is halved or even cut down to 1/3.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s225249.htm

If you get adventurous, and it's not a bad idea to be so, since variety is crucial in a good diet, you could also try sprouting your always whole grains. You could try sprouting rye, oat groats, quinoa, wild rice (really a seed) and buckwheat. Soak for 24 hours, then rinse and drain every 2-3 hours. You will be very gratified to see that little green shoot popping out!

The next step, of course, is to sprout your dried beans which have similar benefits on sprouting. Although some sources state that they can be eaten raw, it's probably a good idea to cook them after they sprout. Lentils are easiest. They are also dirt cheap, so it won't cost you much to experiment.

Top Bottom