Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What kind of energy does a banana give...?

original Delboy

I know this is kind of silly to ask, but i need to know i eat about 3/4 bananas a day and would like to know what kind of energy it provides and what is actually in the banana itself.
thx

Potassium (k) is a fat soluble vitamin. Which means that it could be toxic to your body in large quantities. Also, be careful that you aren't throwing your electolytes off with that many bananas, not to mention the worthless carbs you get from them.

------------------
One Rep Past Death...

Potassium is actually a mineral and not a vitamin. And it is easily absorbed and transported freely throughout the body and readily excreted by the kidneys, meaning it acts much like water-soluble vitamin. There is no risk of toxicity.

The carb content will vary. The less ripe a banana is, the higher the starch content. The riper it is, the more those starches covert into sugar. An unripe banana is around 90% starch. A ripe banana is only around 10% starch. Also, the more ripe it is the higher the GI rating. The more unripe it is, then it will have a lower GI rating.
MR. BMJ

[This message has been edited by MR. BMJ (edited April 04, 2001).]

Come on, man, there's no way you're going to throw off your electrolytes eating 3-4 bananas a day.

Useless carbs? Whatever that means.

The symbol for Potassium is (K), but it is not the fat-soluble vitamin-K. Try not to respond unless you know what you're talking about.

[This message has been edited by JB3 (edited April 04, 2001).]

Are some of you saying bananas are bad for you? What about if you are going to be on your feet all day? The useless carbs will probably be burned off. I'm sure it is better for your body then a processed candy bar from a vending machine.

Originally posted by JB3:
Come on, man, there's no way you're going to throw off your electrolytes eating 3-4 bananas a day.

Useless carbs? Whatever that means.

The symbol for Potassium is (K), but it is not the fat-soluble vitamin-K. Try not to respond unless you know what you're talking about.

[This message has been edited by JB3 (edited April 04, 2001).]

I have read several times that too much potassium will throw off your electrolytes, especially if you are keeping your sodium intake low. Here is a quote taken from http://store.yahoo.com/essentialfitness/contestprep.html

"Based on our evaluations of precontest diets of competitors, most competitors tend to show a potassium to sodium ratio of 3 to 1 or greater. This ratio should be no higher than 2 to 1. Since we observe that the average precontest dietary potassium intake is on the order of 4000 mgs. then it is hard to imagine that spring water would have even the slightest adverse effect on the competitor. In fact it is interesting to watch competitors who are cramping take extra potassium when in fact their cramping was most probably due to too much potassium in the first place."

As for the toxicity, I'll agree I shouldn't have said that because I wasn't sure. I had just always heard to watch vitamins A, D, E, and K, because they were fat soluble. Potassium and vitamin K are separate. My bad.

------------------
One Rep Past Death...

The only reason competitors K:Na ratio is high is because competing bodybuilders will severely restrict their Na intake before competition. It's not because of their excess K intake, unless they're downing NuSalt or something. 3-4 bananas may in a little much, but it's not going to hurt anyone by any stretch of imagination. I like to have one a day - tons of vitamins and minerals.

------------------
My $.02

Top Bottom