Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What is an Insulin Spike?

NAS

I've heard a lot of talk on insulin spike, what causes it and how it is to be avoided!

But, what exactly is it? Somebody please explain to me in the layman terms? Also, is it a good thing or something which should be avoided? What are the negative effects of an insulin spike, if any?

Please help ppl

Insulin is a hormone secreted by the pancreas in response to detected increases in blood sugar - insulin controls glucose homeostasis (i.e., keeps blood glucose levels constant) by stimulating the uptake of glucose into skeletal muscle and, to a lesser extent, into liver (e.g., in the case of fructose) and adipose tissue.

In laymen's terms - it is essentially responsible for storing away the latent energy in the calories you consume. Insulin drives glucose into your cells - it feeds your muscles as it were.

Foods that are high on the glycemic index (e.g., dextrose, or other "simple" carbs) stimulate a strong spike in insulin - "spike" just means that insulin levels rise and fall rapidly (good for a quick burst of energy but not for sustained endurance). Foods lower on the glycemic index (e.g., so-called complex carbs) stimulate a much slower insulin response allowing for a sustained release of energy.

Generally speaking - bodybuilders desire an insulin spike only after a workout (they generally combine simple sugars with protein) because they want the insulin surge to "feed" their muscles as quickly as possible (trying to use laymen's terms here!).

Insulin is a storage hormone released by the beta cells of the pancreas. When you eat carbohydrates, insulin is released, which stores carbohydrates in skeletal muscle tissue, liver and fat tissues.

If you get a rapid surge of blood glucose (like from eating sugar) an insulin spike occurs. Basically you body pumps out a massive amount of insulin to deal with the rapid influx of sugar that was just ingested.

The problem with this is that the body is still in survival mode. The body goes 'hey I don't need all this energy (sugar) right now, let's store some of it for later (which it does as body fat).

That is why you hear people recommend that you eat slow digesting low glycemic index carbohydrates like sweet potato, brown rice, oatmeal etc. They will cause a gradual increase in blood sugar levels and no insulin spike.

Top Bottom