Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

what to eat before running 8-10 km

caceres10

what's up guys, I will running a local marathon next week and I would like some ideas what to eat the night before and the same day a few hours before the race, my last marathon I had carbs and I ended up with stomach bloating and slight diarrhea right after finishing the marathon, thank you.

So. Are you running a marathon (42km) or are you running the distance in your title. BIG BIG difference.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

what you eat the day before is your typical diet, but i would get lots of sleep. rest up.. the whole 'you have to carb up' is classic bro science. you should already be carbing up if you are training for a marathon in the first place, otherwise you have no business running one if you haven't been putting in the mileage

the day of 2 hours before your race is the cutoff for food. I used to eat sweet potato and brown rice. you also need to hydrate.. lots of water.. during the race they will have pit spots every mile where you can take a bite of a cookie to get in some glycogen.

Your main goal here is to be as comfortable as possible and complete the race with the satisfaction that you did everything right. Start the night before by making sure you are well hydrated before bed, using your urine color as a guide. It should be straw-colored. Avoid alcohol, which can cause dehydration and deplete your muscle glycogen stores.

Have a carbohydrate-based evening meal. This could be pasta, rice, potato or cereal based. Some lean protein is fine to include, but try and avoid anything too high in fat such as cheese sauces, pastry, and cream which can sit heavy and be slow to transit through your gut.

Eat your breakfast 2-3 hours before the race start. Again this should be carbohydrate-based, ideally with some high glycemic carbs included. Good examples include cereal, porridge and jam/honey, toast and jam, or cereal bars with yogurt and fruit. This is to help top up your muscle glycogen levels, which is the stored energy in your muscles and liver.

You should also aim to drink at least 500ml of fluid from waking to the start of the race. A drink with sodium in it will be better retained by the body; electrolyte tabs like SiS GO Hydro are an option for this.

You want to carb load for a day or two before the race but it's VERY important to eat carbs that won't effect your stomach. By carb loading, you will load up your muscle's glycogen levels so you have lots of fuel for your race. That's why you always here marathon runners, athletes etc talk about carb loading.

Your issues last race wasn't the fact that you ate a bunch of carbs, it was the type of carbs you ate.

Stick with easy digesting gluten free carb sources like white potatoes, white rice, oatmeal etc.

When I used to run (only did up to 10k), I would have 1/2 cup of oatmeal with some fruit mixed in. That was it and I had it around 2-3 hours before running. Make sure you are hydrated before the run as well. It is hard to catch up on hydration during the race.

Top Bottom