Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What do you put in your PWO shake and how much?

Xray123

What do you put in your PWO shake and how much?

Do you change it when your own cycle?

Just read the below, and thought I share.

--------------------------------------------------------
Everyone and his mother knows that post-workout protein consumption is necessary for significant muscle growth. But it still isn’t entirely clear exactly what type, or how much, is needed for optimal results. It’s an important question—especially when you’re paying for the stuff—and one that Dutch researchers took to the lab. What they found was that type, quantity, and timing of dietary protein are indeed all important factors for muscle hypertrophy. Due to its rapid digestion and absorption, whey protein defended its reputation as the most effective type of protein for stimulating both skeletal muscle protein synthesis and accretion, and inhibiting protein breakdown during post-exercise recovery. As for timing, consumption both during and immediately after a workout proved most beneficial. But probably the most interesting finding of the study was that a mere 20 grams of protein was all it took to maximize post-workout muscle protein synthesis. This is good news for bodybuilders who routinely shake up as much as 50 grams of protein post-workout. Cut that amount in half and you’ve just doubled the lifespan of your protein. Better yet, put those dollars you’re already spending toward a higher-quality blend like a hydrolyzed isolate.

--------------------------

Reference

L.J. van Loon and M.J. Gibala, Nestle Nutr. Inst. Workshop Ser.; 69:79-95. [Epub 2012 Jan. 18]

Funny you mention that number coz thats pretty much how much I use most of the time. When cutting/maintaining/lean gaining I use about 25g of an isolate in water which works out to about 21g of protein. When bulking I use 1.5x that much. I rely on the insulin spike from the workout so don't use supplimental carbs in my shake. I've tried both with and without dextrose and don't see a difference (other than higher calorie count) so I cut the sugar. Also, I only have the shake because I usually don't eat for a couple hours post workout. On the times that I do get to eat right after, I skip the shake. I think real food beats a shake.

I know most won't agree with this but protein shakes after a workout are not in my strategy.

also there is no evidence that if you fail to eat right after your workout that your muscles will shrink away like magic. you actually have hours to eat.. I like to have a nutritious meal .. fish/chicken/grass fed beef with complex carbs such as sweet potato/brown rice and of course who could forget green veggies. thats is the best meal you could have after your workout.

i've honestly had 1 protein shake in maybe the past 3 or 4 months. most of the guys i see at the gym carrying around protein shakes are skinny young noobs. obviously drinking shakes isn't gonna do anything to help you grow mass. you need real food and you need to dedicate hours in the gym a week. give me 160g of protein a day from real food and it blows away 500g of protein from shakes and bars.

I have 70gms of oats and 30gms of protein powder because if I dont get some carbs straight within 20mins of training I feel like death. I have a 20min walk home put on food and jump in the shower while its cooking.

I hate drinking shakes in front of people because I feel like a twat so I usually do it in the bathroom

Sent from my GT-N7100 using EliteFitness

I agree with pretty much everything Steve has said. Shakes are pretty overrated, and actually unnecessary if you are eating correctly. Also you do have more than plenty of time post workout to get that meal in. No need to rush to it. As a matter of fact, taking in carbs immediately after a work out will kill the spike in GH you get. Its best to wait at least 30-45 minutes after a workout. So I would do whey only if I were to do a shake post workout.

My post workout meal is chicken breast or white fish with sweet potato or brown rice and broccoli, green beans, or asparagus. I rarely do shakes at all. I use my whey protein mostly for cooking and not shakes.

I like to have a shake after workout,

1/2 cup of Oatmeal
1 Banana
1 Cup Sugar Free Almond Milk
1 Cup Ice
1.5 scoops Healthy N' Fit Egg Protien
2 Tbsp of Natural PB

TASTEY!

Hydrolized wpi at 30g, 25g dextrose, 25g maltodextrin, 5g creatine mono and 700ml of water. Solid meal of fish and green beans usually 45 mins later.

How does hydrolized whey compare to isolate in your opinion?

Mate iv only changed to hydrolized whey in the last 2 weeks, so its hard to put a proper comparison this early. But I find it mixes a hell of a lot easier and is a lot easier to stomach. I feel I'm recovering maybe a little faster but that could also be in my head. I'm hoping it delivers faster and my body uses it a lot more efficiently.

if I use a pwo shake this is what I put in it
2 scoops whey
2 cups oats
1 bannana
ice

Top Bottom