Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

vegetables

Pickles are fine - they are just cucumbers with vingar and salt. lol Like with everything else, moderation is key. 1-2 a day will be fine. But they do have calories, so make sure you add them into your daily caloric intake. Pickles also have little nutritional value - few vitamins/minerals/fiber. They are very high in sodium, which can cause water retention if your water intake is not high and consistent.

Corn is not a good idea - fresh, frozen or canned. Corn is very high in sugar for a veggie. Maybe a small serving 1x a week, at most.

Peas aren't the best choice either. I believe they are a high GI veggie. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Same with corn, maybe a small serving 1x a week at most.

Unsweetened pickles are actually good for your dieting efforts to the extent that they slow the emptying of the stomach and reduce the GI of a carb meal, so have them with carbs. Personally I just have a slug of straight vinegar which has the same effect without all the salt.

I wouldn't touch the canned vegetables even when I'm not dieting. Canning destroys a huge amount of the good nutrients (and often involves more salt or sugar being added), but small amounts of fresh peas or corn are fine IMHO.

MS said:
Unsweetened pickles are actually good for your dieting efforts to the extent that they slow the emptying of the stomach and reduce the GI of a carb meal, so have them with carbs. Personally I just have a slug of straight vinegar which has the same effect without all the salt.

Any vinegar ?

Is it the acetic acid that lowers the GI ?

Because we can often read that apple cider vinegar has some healthy properties that some other vinegars don't have

BTW, Xeres vinegar = :p

Anthrax said:
Any vinegar ?

Is it the acetic acid that lowers the GI ?

Because we can often read that apple cider vinegar has some healthy properties that some other vinegars don't have

BTW, Xeres vinegar = :p

Yes, it's the acetic acid although most other organic acids and fermented foods have a similar but less potent effect (including lemon juice and yogurts with citric acid and lactic acid respectively). Apparently the best types to use are red or white wine vinegars. There may be other benfits from cider vinegar as well, but in terms of insulin response all that matters is acetic acid.

In one study the glucose response with acetic acid was 31 percent lower than without it. In another study acetic acid significantly reduced the glycemic index of a starchy meal from 100 to 64 (where white bread = 100).

Fermented foods also reduce blood glucose levels. The natural fermentation of starch and sugars by a yeast starter culture that produces lactic and propionic acid is what makes sourdough bread. In another study the glycemic index of sourdough bread was 68 compared 100 for non-sourdough bread.

Thx, MS, great info

Too bad we can hardly find fermented dairies now

Even yogurt which, by definition, should be a fermented product (Lactobacillus Cultures) is now, most of the times plain milk + gelatin or other thickening agents

Even sauerkraut is no longer fermented

unless we eat organic ...

Yes, you have to read a lot of labels carefully these days to find true fermented foods that are not loaded with sugars, thickeners, salt and god knows what else. But they are out there (for a price). This is a big reason why I just bite the bullet and slug back the straight vinegar.

does anyone love the beetroot here?

because i eat them a lot in salads.......bet you they are bad for me :rolleyes:

brunette said:
does anyone love the beetroot here?

because i eat them a lot in salads.......bet you they are bad for me :rolleyes:

Aren't they quite rich in carbs ?

Top Bottom