Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Unable to correct stalled weight loss

M4TR1X

Measurements/Info:

Height: 6'1
Weight: 220

I work nights, 6pm to 2am, and it's very laid back, computer programming and databasing work, so I'm not doing much. I'd say the hours I spend out of exercising, aside from cooking, are very sedentary. My sleep schedule is unfortunately segmented. I sleep around around 3 to 7, then I have to wake up and get my kid to school, then from 8 to 12 I go back to sleep.

----

I started losing weight about a year ago, I was 245-250 at the time, and concentrated my efforts on cardio (Running, 4.5-7mph, Elliptical, Stairmaster, Racquetball). I started off doing about an hour a day for 4 or 5 days, and eventually increased it. At the time, I also kept my caloric intake to between 1500-1800. I lost on average about 8lbs a month. In the process I put on a decent amount of muscle from light weight training and racquetball. I can't really say how well toned, but my legs, tighs, back are pretty solid. I did about 30 minutes of weights after an hour and a half of cardio, 3 out of 5 days. However, most of the fat left on my body is concentrated around my stomach.

So anyway, here I am now at 220 and have been there for now for two months. At first I thought that perhaps my caloric intake was simply too low and my metabolism had shifted into starvation mode. So I adjusted my diet. I now eat about five to six meals a day that amounts to about 2400-2800 calories. After about a month, I still didn't notice a change in weight, so I figured it might be a case of my body getting too adjusted to a workout regime. Up till a month ago, I did hardcore racquetball for about 2 hours, six days a week. I added back in elliptical, and running to my regime with the light weight training every other day. Still no change in weight after a month, at this point I'm not sure what to change. Any ideas? Only thing I can imagine is my segmented sleep, but I can't change that, I have to wake up and get my kid ready for school. I suppose I should take more rest days, but honestly I don't feel fatigued the next day. It takes about 2 weeks for it to really start to grind down on me.

I don't have a motivation problem, I love going to the gym and love playing racquetball. However, the lack of progress with the weight loss is proving to be extremely aggrivating considering how much effort I put into this. I welcome all comments and opinions.

----

Ultimately, I would like to get down to 190lbs or so and then build up back with weights to 210. I haven't tackled weights too hardcore simply because I don't have a training partner. When I do weights, it's usually machine, and every now and then I'll add in a few bench presses and squats. My lower body is much stronger than my upper body currently.

My conditioning, stamina, and flexibility I think is very excellent at this point. Currently, I run for 30 minutes, elliptical for 30, and racquetball for an hour and a half, and I'll generally do this 6 days a week. Sometimes I'll end up doing it for 2 weeks straight then rest three days. I'd say on the average I burn 1400 calories a day, with a low of 1000 and a high of 1800.

These are just educated guesses, but I figure:

Day activities/BMR: 2700
Exercising: 1400. (Elliptical 300, Running 300, Racquetball 800)
Intake: 2700
Difference: 1400

I track everything I eat, so I know it amounts to about 2400-2800. I drink about 16 glasses of water throughout the day. On the average, I eat about 290-330gs of carbs, 120-150gs of proteins, and 60-80g of Fat. Up until a month ago, I ate around 100gs of Fat, so I considered that might be a contributing factor and cut it down to current levels. My current diet looks something along...

Meal 1 (7:00 AM): 2 slices of wheat bread, chicken sausage. 400 cals. Wake up, drop kid off, back to sleep.

Meal 2 (1:00 PM): Canned soup, all different kinds, sometimes shredded cheese. 300-450 cals. Wake up, stretch, head to the gym.

Meal 3 (4:30 PM): Post workout. Usually leftovers from last night, which is generally, rice, chicken and some vegetable. Usually about 400-700 cals. Post workout stretching, cook dinner, lie back on the sofa watching TV.

Meal 4 (7:00 PM): Whatever dinner I cooked and brought to work. Generally rice, chicken and some vegetable. 600-800 cals. At work at this point typing away.

Meal 5 (10:30 PM): Fruits. Banana and a kiwi. Or strawberries. It generall works out to 150-200. Still at work.

Meal 6 (1:00 AM): Generally some candy or sherbert. Basically something with sugar to keep up for the last hour and drive home. 220-250 calories. Still at work, preparing to leave and then head to sleep.

I stick to water, no alcohol, juices or soda for me. I have been adding in green tea for (mythical?) a metabolism boost. I don't eat fast food. However, come date night I'll eat out at a restaurant chain (Fridays/Olive Garden/etc).

Last edited:
Measurements/Info:

Height: 6'1
Weight: 220

I work nights, 6pm to 2am, and it's very laid back, computer programming and databasing work, so I'm not doing much. I'd say the hours I spend out of exercising, aside from cooking, are very sedentary. My sleep schedule is unfortunately segmented. I sleep around around 3 to 7, then I have to wake up and get my kid to school, then from 8 to 12 I go back to sleep.

----

I started losing weight about a year ago, I was 245-250 at the time, and concentrated my efforts on cardio (Running, 4.5-7mph, Elliptical, Stairmaster, Racquetball). I started off doing about an hour a day for 4 or 5 days, and eventually increased it. At the time, I also kept my caloric intake to between 1500-1800. I lost on average about 8lbs a month. In the process I put on a decent amount of muscle from light weight training and racquetball. I can't really say how well toned, but my legs, tighs, back are pretty solid. I did about 30 minutes of weights after an hour and a half of cardio, 3 out of 5 days. However, most of the fat left on my body is concentrated around my stomach.

So anyway, here I am now at 220 and have been there for now for two months. At first I thought that perhaps my caloric intake was simply too low and my metabolism had shifted into starvation mode. So I adjusted my diet. I now eat about five to six meals a day that amounts to about 2400-2800 calories. After about a month, I still didn't notice a change in weight, so I figured it might be a case of my body getting too adjusted to a workout regime. Up till a month ago, I did hardcore racquetball for about 2 hours, six days a week. I added back in elliptical, and running to my regime with the light weight training every other day. Still no change in weight after a month, at this point I'm not sure what to change. Any ideas? Only thing I can imagine is my segmented sleep, but I can't change that, I have to wake up and get my kid ready for school. I suppose I should take more rest days, but honestly I don't feel fatigued the next day. It takes about 2 weeks for it to really start to grind down on me.

I don't have a motivation problem, I love going to the gym and love playing racquetball. However, the lack of progress with the weight loss is proving to be extremely aggrivating considering how much effort I put into this. I welcome all comments and opinions.

----

Ultimately, I would like to get down to 190lbs or so and then build up back with weights to 210. I haven't tackled weights too hardcore simply because I don't have a training partner. When I do weights, it's usually machine, and every now and then I'll add in a few bench presses and squats. My lower body is much stronger than my upper body currently.

My conditioning, stamina, and flexibility I think is very excellent at this point. Currently, I run for 30 minutes, elliptical for 30, and racquetball for an hour and a half, and I'll generally do this 6 days a week. Sometimes I'll end up doing it for 2 weeks straight then rest three days. I'd say on the average I burn 1400 calories a day, with a low of 1000 and a high of 1800.

These are just educated guesses, but I figure:

Day activities/BMR: 2700
Exercising: 1400. (Elliptical 300, Running 300, Racquetball 800)
Intake: 2700
Difference: 1400

I track everything I eat, so I know it amounts to about 2400-2800. I drink about 16 glasses of water throughout the day. On the average, I eat about 290-330gs of carbs, 120-150gs of proteins, and 60-80g of Fat. Up until a month ago, I ate around 100gs of Fat, so I considered that might be a contributing factor and cut it down to current levels. My current diet looks something along...

Meal 1 (7:00 AM): 2 slices of wheat bread, chicken sausage. 400 cals. Wake up, drop kid off, back to sleep.
just use chicken breast and put some fresh spinach in there

Meal 2 (1:00 PM): Canned soup, all different kinds, sometimes shredded cheese. 300-450 cals. Wake up, stretch, head to the gym. go to the gym before you eat. soup is not the best choice of food. try a shake here

Meal 3 (4:30 PM): Post workout. Usually leftovers from last night, which is generally, rice, chicken and some vegetable. Usually about 400-700 cals. Post workout stretching, cook dinner, lie back on the sofa watching TV. drop the rice and add some nuts. make sure the veggies are green

Meal 4 (7:00 PM): Whatever dinner I cooked and brought to work. Generally rice, chicken and some vegetable. 600-800 cals. At work at this point typing away. chicken, sweat potato, and broccoli. your eating to much rice.

Meal 5 (10:30 PM): Fruits. Banana and a kiwi. Or strawberries. It generall works out to 150-200. Still at work. change this to mixed berries and nuts

Meal 6 (1:00 AM): Generally some candy or sherbert. Basically something with sugar to keep up for the last hour and drive home. 220-250 calories. Still at work, preparing to leave and then head to sleep. try a quality protein bar. check out better protein bars at needtobuildmuscle.com
or eat a small healthy meal

I stick to water, no alcohol, juices or soda for me. I have been adding in green tea for (mythical?) a metabolism boost. I don't eat fast food. However, come date night I'll eat out at a restaurant chain (Fridays/Olive Garden/etc).

cut out a lot of those simple carbs and all of the junk.

Yeah even with your high activity levels you have WAY too many carbs, you need to up the protein, carbs should be kept to early in the day if youre going to eat them or right before workout. Try AM cardio on an empty stomach for a while and I see you said you are just doing "light lifting sometimes" now and waiting to lift till later...you need to be lifting hard and heavy now, trying to add LBM or keep your muscle mass now to up your metabolism...You really need a complete rework of your diet and training I think and more education on the WHYS that you do things.

-Legacy

Top Bottom