Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Tuna Burgers

anthrax

MVP
EF VIP
For all tuna burgers eaters, please read this thread :

RALEIGH, NORTH CAROLINA. Health officials in North Carolina have noticed a substantial increase in the number of histamine poisonings reported in the state.

A total of 22 cases were reported during the period July 1998 to February 1999. This compares to an average two cases per year during the period 1994 to 1997.
The symptoms of histamine poisoning include tingling and burning sensations around the mouth, headache, facial flushing and sweating, rash and itching on the upper body, abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and heart palpitations.

The symptoms appear minutes to a few hours after
ingestion of contaminated food and are often severe enough for the patient to seek emergency care. They can sometimes be similar to those observed in coronary heart disease thus increasing the possibility of misdiagnosis and invasive medical intervention.

The most common source of histamine poisoning is fish, tuna especially, that has been improperly refrigerated.

Of the 22 cases in North Carolina 18 (82 per cent) involved tuna
burgers served in restaurants and two involved the consumption of tuna salads.
Health officials determined that in 19 cases the tuna used to prepare the burgers and salads was frozen and thawed more than once before serving.
Restaurant inspections also found inadequate refrigeration in two of the five restaurants accounting for 64 per cent of the cases. Be careful where you eat your tuna burgers!

Becker, Karen, et al. Histamine poisoning associated with eating tuna burgers. Journal of the American Medical Association, Vol. 285, March 14, 2001, pp. 1327-30

You can make 'em yourself ... do a search for good recipe or maybe someone here has one.

Or, if you don't want to do that, a company called Aqua Cuisine makes a good frozen variety. Look in your supermarket's frozen FRESH fish section and not where you'd find fish sticks. They're done in about 5 minutes on a Foreman grill, have 17g p, 7 g c, 2.5 g f (NO sat fat) and 1,000 mg of Omega 3's each. I grill two of 'em for a double tuna burger on a whole grain bun, usually for my second feed of the day.

This outfit also makes a salmon burger, too. I don't like salmon so I haven't tried them.

I found this at the Sutter Home Winery Web site. It looked like a keeper. Many I found had bread crumbs (more carbs and fat), but this one looks okay. It also says to use fresh tuna, but you could probably drain and pat dry six regular cans of Albacore.

Hawaiian Tuna Burgers with Maui Wowee Salsa

2 cups chopped Maui onion (or other sweet onion)
1/2 cup minced scallions
1/4 cup pickled ginger, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons Asian sesame oil
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

Burgers:

2 pounds boneless, skinless yellowfin tuna, finely chopped
1/2 cup Panko
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 tablespoons Asian sesame oil
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- vegetable oil
6 sesame buns, split
1/2 cup purchased Teriyaki sauce

PROCEDURE:
Preheat grill to medium hot flame.

Combine onion and next 6 ingredients in small bowl. Mix well and set aside to allow flavors to blend.

Combine tuna and next 9 ingredients in large bowl and mix well. Shape into 6 thick patties. Brush grill with vegetable oil and cook tuna burgers over direct heat until barely cooked throughout, about 4 minutes per side, or to desired degree of doneness.

During last 2 minutes of grilling, place buns, cut sides down, on outside of grill to toast lightly. Brush both halves of buns lightly with Teriyaki sauce. Place a tuna burger on the bottom half of each bun, top with salsa and top of bun. Serve with Sutter Home Gewürztraminer or Chenin Blanc.

Makes 6 servings.

Top Bottom