Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is it true that the more water you drink the less water retention you make??

keranna

hi... I know it's important to drinks tons of water... sometimes when I get dehydrated I feel that my stomach bloats up due to water retention... If I constantly drink all day will this go away? Thanks for the replies!!!!

in simple terms (as it was explained to me) if you constantly supply your body with water than it's not concerned about being without so it will shed any extra stores (because it knows more will be on its way)

But if you starve your body of water it'll hold on to what it already has for fear of not getting any more....

Same thing with calories - which is why starvation diets don't work.

VDL

:)

I get used to it. At one time I was lucky to drink a liter of water. When I ended up drinking a gallon and a half a day, if I didn't drink that much I would feel very thirsty. I guess your body gets used to the changes you make.

just don't think a large amount at a time: drink a little every 30 min (or 20 or 45 depends on many factors)

VooDoo Lady said:
in simple terms (as it was explained to me) if you constantly supply your body with water than it's not concerned about being without so it will shed any extra stores (because it knows more will be on its way)

But if you starve your body of water it'll hold on to what it already has for fear of not getting any more....

Same thing with calories - which is why starvation diets don't work.

VDL

:)

For what it's worth, this is my understanding as well.

ND

Just wanted to let you all know that you're right on about the water. Basically you hold water when your body knows it isn't going to get any more (like a camel). When you constantly supply your body with water you don't hold it, you flush it out instead. The increase in water shuts down your anti-diuretic hormones which then allow you to release the held water. So water is a natural diuretic. Just thought I'd share that.

These boards are great, i'm learning and sharing tons of information. I've always read and thought that drinking too much water causes water intoxication. To just replace the fluids as you lose them. Is this wrong, should I be drinking a lot more? I drink probably barely a half gallon a day, mostly being only during my workouts. Thanks for reading.

Lattimer99_E.S.U said:
These boards are great, i'm learning and sharing tons of information. I've always read and thought that drinking too much water causes water intoxication. To just replace the fluids as you lose them. Is this wrong, should I be drinking a lot more? I drink probably barely a half gallon a day, mostly being only during my workouts. Thanks for reading.

I think it can be a bad thing if you drink too much, as your sodium levels will drop and you can actually die. However, I drink over a gallon every day and have had no ill affects. I would say that for an active person, half a gallon is not enough.

just my $.02

ND

h20 and football

Hey lattimer, just chiming in since I saw from before that you ball...

You gotta drink water, man. Lots. Especially before you exercise. Don't wait 'til you get to the gym to start drinking because that water takes a while to get into your system, and even longer once you start exercising since gastric emptying is slowed when you do intense exercise. So start drinking like 45 min. before you go to the gym or practice or whatever. Sometimes I gotta take a piss real bad right before I lift and I know I'm ready. (the worst is when you hafta drop a deuce :toilet:)

During training camp the trainers would always have a meeting with the team where they said we should check our piss every night and if it wasn't clear that means we didn't drink enough water. This was even before Rashidi Wheeler and Korey Stringer. Dehydration and Football are a BIG deal. Some of the best guys on the team would wake up on game day and start chugging Pedialyte from the get go. Personally I think Gatorade works just as well and is cheaper, but they had the right idea.

NateDogg is right about the sodium, not to mention Potassium. I read somewhere that some little kid downed a gallon of pure H2O after a soccer game and his heart stopped due to low concentrations of electrolyte in his body. But for adults I think it would take a conscious effort to do damage. If you're still worried about that just drink Gatorade every few hours and you'll be fine.

JC

Top Bottom