Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Too much or Too little protein? Someone told me 100g......or so

Waka

a day, to build muscle. 100g if you are about 100 pounds. one gram for each pound...Kind of reminds me of what someone told me 1 ounce of water per each pound to stay hydrated. This is all so confusing! :worried:

I think I could get in about 50g of protein a day at the most...

Could anyone please input on this? I'd appreciate it. :)

if you want to build muscle you definitively need more protein... you may find that some people say between 1 - 1.5 g depending on your goals and how does your body responds. IMO for beginner will be 1g per pound.
For getting your protein requirements you can eat chicken, tuna, meat, egg whites... and protein shakes (whey protein) which aid for consuming more protein if you feel you cannot eat all your protein requirements with food.
Also it is convenient to divide your protein in 5 - 6 meals during the day, with 2-3 hours between each so that you provide your body with constant protein.

Basically, in general, YES you want 1g per lb of BW.

50 is way way way way too low. I am PG and NOT focusing on muscle gains right now (just trying to limit fat, lol) and the doc's recommend at least 60-75g.

Also note that you have to be training intensely to make up for the increase of protein. Like anything if the body has no use for it , it will turn it into fat.

Inaddition, there was a study done , stating that the "average" weightlifter , just trying to stay fit , gain strength , and put on a small amount of muscle , can do it with as low as 40-50 grams per day.

vachelle72 said:
Also note that you have to be training intensely to make up for the increase of protein. Like anything if the body has no use for it , it will turn it into fat.

Not one bit true.

An excess of overall CALORIES will cause fat gain. You can gain fat if you eat excess ANYTHING. Protein will not "turn into" anything. Excess calories is the cause for fat gain.

If you increase your protein, you will increase your overall calories if you do not make modifications to your diet. But there is no reason you cannot get 1-2g protein per lb BW and LOSE fat. You have to take your OVERALL diet into consideration.

vachelle72 said:

Inaddition, there was a study done , stating that the "average" weightlifter , just trying to stay fit , gain strength , and put on a small amount of muscle , can do it with as low as 40-50 grams per day.
You body will start to eat away at it's muscle if you get less 60g of protien a day. My minimum in take is 1g per lb generaly I aim for 1.5 unless bulking then 2g.

vachelle72 said:

I want to see that study. While it could be true and a well-performed study, I find it VERY hard to believe. I am NOT saying YOU are not telling the truth - but I would be SHOCKED if this was a valid and reliable study.

vachelle72 said:

1g of protein per lb of bodyweight is the minimum required to start building some muscle. Of course, the increase should be done gradually.

The 40-50 g per day is maintainance for someone who just hits the irons for fun but not serious training (by serious I mean looking forward to get results). When I was younger (highschool) I could live with as little as 50g or less per day of protein, but back then I was really skinny. It was only when I started increasing the protein, and as you say "train with more intensity" that I started observing pleasant results.

On the other hand, I have always the doubt that the body can turn excess protein to fat, maybe it all depends on the metabolism of the person... but not quite convinced. If you have more information about it please let me know.

Thanks everybody a bunch. This was definitely news to me... I thought 30 or 40 grams of protein was Ok for me.. now I know why all those exercises I do on my legs.. I just haven't been getting any results.

I want to ask if anyone knows of any other exercises(other than squats and leg lifts) that work your quad and calve muscles? not sure if this thread is dead, but any suggestions would be Very appreciated! :)

Lunges - all kinds ..... 1) stationary (with or without weight), 2) walking (again, weights or no), 3) backward

Plyometrics! Scissor jumps or Squat Jumps

Sprints (running/walking)

Jumping rope is awesome for calves

Step ups

Most of these exercises are discussed in a thread up top - the one with the links top top threads. Not sure which link talks about them, but go through them and you should find it.

Top Bottom