Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Too much EPA/DHA?

JG1

Currently using 7tsp (35g fat) of fish oil daily, which comes out to 9870mg EPA/DHA.

Other fats in my diet comes from mostly lean ground beef, and eggs.

Is this dose of fish oil I'm using optimal, or am I taking too much? Would I be better of taking in half the amount of fish oil (3.5 tsp, 4935mg EPA/DHA), and getting the other getting the other half (3.5 tsp) of my supplemented fat from Udo's?

Last edited:
Hmmmm....thats a good question. Most of the research I have seen showing the best benefits of fish oils has been between 3 and 4 grams (3000 - 4000mg). You are almost at 10 grams. Remember, omega 3's are great, but omega 6's do serve important functions in the body too. They kind of balance eachother out in terms of hormones they produce and their ultimate effect.

Ryan

I'm just gonna use half fish oil and half udo's to be on the safe side. So 17.5g fish oil daily (4.9g EPA/DHA) and 17.5g Udo's daily.

*DISCLAMER* Subjective information.

I should hope that fish oil is molecular distilled, otherwise the benifits are quickly omitted as the mercury and other toxin levels are very high in fish oil.

The average person takes in no more then an average of around 500 mg of DHA/EPA per day, if that! You are succeeding in allowing your body to become accustomed to such a high dose, which I can only assume you'll take for the rest of your life if you don't wanna experiance withdrawl symptoms. This will happen after your body has adapted to this level of intake and shut down its recepters and own DHA/EPA conversion process because its getting too much now and is not used to it. So now you 've become dependant on it, but then again your body could welcome it! =/

All I'm trying to say is "Theres a happy medium for everything." =)

My research shows 6 grams to be optimal, but going higher is cetainly not going to hurt. Studies in rats showed huge changes in fat loss, with higher doses. Studies on rats have been done where fish oil has accounted for as much as 60% of their total calories. The higher the % the lower the bf on average at the end of the studies. Of course no such data exist for humans, but after 6 grams a day, the benefits with higher intakes quickly taper off. Still, I don't belive it will hurt you. Stick with salmon oil if you are worried about mercury.

Taking a lot of EPA/DHA is not "bad" in itself

But you should care of the omega 3/omega 6 ratio
and polyunsaturated/mono unsaturated ratio

I'm going for this my next cuttingperiod(no drug more than clen and EC every second week)
Fishoil 15g per day(have used 50g per day without any problems but it costs too much)
CLA 3g per day
GLA 1g per day
omega3 10g per day
omega 6 10g per day
omega 9 10g per day

Top Bottom