Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Timing of Post-Workout shake????

PatBateman3

On my lifting days, I lift for about 45 min and then do an hour of cardio. I was wondering if I should slug down a high protein/low carb drink in between the two?? Something like an ABB drink with 42g protein and 2g carb??

I would then have my post-workout shake after the cardio when I get home about 25 min after leaving the gym (pw shake is high protein/high carb/low fat mix, and I dont have this shake on my off days where I only do 1 hour of cardio, I have a high protein/zero carb shake).

I am constantly cutting, it is all I do. I have given up the bulking juices and I am sticking with eq/fina/strol/anavar because I add size really easily but don't cut so easily. About to start a cutting cycle and want to go from 5'10, 190, 13%bf and hope to get to 9%bf and stay the same weight.

Personally I would definitely be getting in some nutrition before the cardio - even if it's only some amino acids - but I also wouldn't shy away from some carbs in there. I understand the theory behind empty-stomach cardio - but running a routine like that for an extended period does more harm than good in the long run (the ratio of muscle to fat loss is simply not worth it, in my experience).

It's obviously a toss up between preventing muscle loss and wanting to be glycogen depleted (for the sake of fat loss) - but from personal experience - if you feed your muscles and keep them happy, shedding the blubber is that much easier.

Having said that, I've never been on a perpetual cutting plan - and I have no problem doing the empty-stomach cardio thing for a few weeks to really lean down. If at all possible, can you separate cardio and lifting days? That might be ideal.

Last edited:
Cardio after weights is one thing - it is perfectly fine if you are doing 15-20 minutes light cardio, maybe 30 minutes if you are pushing it. But an hour? You shouldn't have the energy after weights to knock out an hour of cardio. Rather separate as suggested, or do cardio on off days.

Great suggestions here guys. What I am going to do is this: Everyday I will wake up try and do some cardio on an empty stomach (I realistically may only do it 2x week). I always lift from 9-10:30pm so there is your separation. I am going to do 15-20 min of hard cardio on my lifiting days and the hour of cardio on the off days (so even if I don't do the morning cardio, I will at least be doing an hour of cardio eod). The morning cardio I won't count in the totals and will just do it when I can for 30 min max.

What happens while doing this depends exclusively on:

1. Your overall diet (particularly meal timing and contents)
2. Your own personal genetics.

I did 45min HEAVY cardio (75~80% MHR) right after lifting for 6 months straight. Nothing bad happened to me.

My last meal was 2 hours before lifting (Chicken) and then I would have the PWO right after cardio.

Why do cardio/try to cut when "on" ?

Don't waste your juice by limiting your growth

Anthrax said:

That is good point... I completely overread the part where he explains he is bulking and on juice... damn.

Anyway, light cardio (20 mins) 2-3 times a week is still ok while bulking, but only for the heart benefits... hell, EVERYBODY should be doing at least this amount to keep your clock ticking happily away.

I take my protein shake immedately after or 10 minutes before the end of my workout

Anthrax said:

did you miss the part where I said I have given up bulking juices? Last time I checked, people on cutting cycles like to add in some cardio. The plan I am on is to add lean muscle and trade bf with every cycle until I get to my goal and then to maintain. even if I only gain 2 lbs in a cycle, if I change my body composition enough then it will be a success for me

Top Bottom