Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Those "damn" Sweeteners!

T

TerraNoble

Those "damn" Sweeteners!

Sweeteners made quite a stir in the world of nutrition, and there are pros and cons in how bad/good they are.

The next article did shed some light over my dilemma....

Aspartame:
Also about 200 times sweeter than sugar, there is a great deal of controversy over the safety of this sweetener. It is made from two amino acids, aspartic acid and phenylalanine. Aspartame, also marketed under the names Nutrasweet and Equal, is found in a wide variety of prepared products. This sweetener does break down when heated and is not useful for cooking or adding to hot beverages.

Maltitol:
Like all sugar alcohols, maltitol does not promote tooth decay. Maltitol has a taste and sweetness similar to table sugar. It does not raise blood glucose (and insulin) levels and is useful for diabetics and low-carbers. Because of its high melting point and stability, it is a particularly helpful choice when making candies. It can also give a creamy texture to foods. Like all sugar alcohols, maltitol can have a laxative effect in some individuals.

Saccharine:
This sweetener has been around for close to a hundred years and is 200 time sweeter than table sugar. It is produced from a substance found in grapes. The human body cannot break it down, so it does not produce an insulin response. It is often found in soft drinks and in sweeteners like Sweet ‘N Low. It can be useful in recipes like salad dressings and punch, which do not depend on the volume and texture provided by normal sugars.

Sorbitol:
This sugar alcohol is found in a number of products, especially those that need to become dry or hardened, like candies and confectionaries. Like other sugar alcohols, it does not contribute to tooth decay. Sorbitol is often used in “reduced calorie” and “light” products. Excess consumption may have a laxative effect.

Stevia:
This South American plant has also been called the honeyleaf. Although not approved as a sweetener by the FDA, stevia has been safely used in Japan for the purpose of sweetening for about 25 years. It has only been approved as a food additive in the United States. Stevia products are not standardized, and not all are of the same quality. The pure white powdered extract has the least aftertaste. When using stevia, combine it with at least one other sweetener for better results. Stevia is stable to 400 degrees F, so it holds up well when cooking. However, it will not add texture to baked goods.

Sucralose:
Sold under the brand name of Splenda, sucralose is useful as a one to one substitute for table sugar. It is stable when heated and does not break down in cooking. However, I feel you do lose a little of the texture in some baked goods. For some people, it also has a slight aftertaste. Because of this, I often substitute a small part of the Splenda with fructose, agave, or Whey Low D. Sucralose does not promote tooth decay.

I for one , use Spenda and it is a great replacement for sugar...I have not read anything controversial about Splenda...It helps me to keep in check my cravings for sweets!!!

nice post-----

I use sweet and low almost every day

Have you personally known anyone who has DIED from sugar substitutes? I havn't. I also havn't read about any one I didn't know dying from them either--so I say they are pretty safe, too much drama if you ask me....

If people are so worried about their health, they should stop drinking/smoking and eating nasty food......

jennifer said:
nice post-----

Have you personally known anyone who has DIED from sugar substitutes? I havn't. I also havn't read about any one I didn't know dying from them either--so I say they are pretty safe, too much drama if you ask me....

If people are so worried about their health, they should stop drinking/smoking and eating nasty food......

I remember a few years ago there there was a heated debate over the use of sweet & low..
At the time was seen as a real evil....Even myself ,I decided to stay away for a while. I try to educate myself by reading a lot and I can tell that they are safe for consumption and make a great subsitute for SUGAR.

Aspartame has also some enemies, but who doesn't...:)

I enjoy my diet pepsi and its sweetener(aspartame) and I do not see any side effects so far ..

jennifer said:
nice post-----

Have you personally known anyone who has DIED from sugar substitutes? I havn't. .....

I've never even heard of anyone getting so much as a headache from any sweetener. I've used both for years and will continue.

same here...

i use sweet and low, and equal all the time...

not only for diet reasons...much better on your teeth!!

Top Bottom