Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

thinking about fasting one day a week

N

nclifter6feet6

and eating slightly above maintance for the rest of the week. basically every sunday just eat protien with very little fat and very little carbs. by the way im still running my 5-6 miles 7 days a week

I think it was pw that talked something about fasting...
Congratulations nclifter6feet6, you are in great shape.

It is PwB i mean. I am doing some cut and paste of one thread:

"Health & Fitness Benefits
Fasting for mental clarity.
Dr. Yuri Nikolayev, director of the fasting unit of the Moscow Psychiatric Institute, reports that the reason fasting works so well for heightening mental clarity is that it "gives the entire nervous system and the brain a rest. The body is also cleansed of poisons, and the tissues and the various glands are renovated. Resting the brain forms the basis for the treatment of various neuropsychiatric disorders." In Russia, fasting has been used for 50 years as the most effective treatment for schizophrenia. The nationÕs studies show that 70 percent of patients improved mentally after 20 to 30 days of controlled fasting. One Japanese research clinic had 382 patients, all suffering from psychosomatic disease, go on a fast, with a success rate of 87 percent. And the Sapparo Medical Journal in Japan states that "fasting has been repeatedly observed to alleviate neuroses, anxiety and depression.

Fasting for anti-aging
Fasting slows down the aging process by encouraging new cell growth. This rejuvenation is speeded up as the required proteins are resynthesized from decomposed cells. Also, fasteningÕs lowering of the basal metabolic rate, the rate at which the body burns fuel to create energy, promotes longevity.

Researchers Richard Weindruch, Ph.D., and Roy Walford, M.D., have shown that longevity is directly linked to efficient energy consumption. "Thrifty" animals live longer than "burner" animals. Fasting causes a decrease in B.M.R. of around one percent daily until it stabilizes at 75 percent of its normal level. What this boils down to is that tour body needs a break every once in a while from the daily chores of mastication, digestion, assimilation, and elimination. This hiatus will also provide the person fasting with more energy because it will spare the approximately ten percent of the bodyÕs energy budget that is normally spent performing these functions.

Fasting normalizes hormone levels
Signs of premature aging, a lagging libido, and a bulging waistline are all indicative of malfunctioning endocrine or sex glands and diminished sex-hormone production. Scientific fasting has been shown to revitalize these glands and normalize hormone production, thus reversing such processes. A number of biochemical changes occur during fasting. When the body becomes more efficient at burning fuel, it reduces its dependence on glucose and uses fatty acids more efficiently. This means that insulin sensitivity is greatly increased, with more anabolic (muscle-growth) activity as a result. There is also a notable increase in the production of growth hormone, which is responsible for increased lean-body mass, decreased body fat, increased body fat, increased energy, and a reversal in the signs of aging.

Fasting for muscle growth and fat loss
To gain some insight into the control systems underlying the regulation of body composition during lean-body weight gain and fat loss, we can look to the classic Minnesota Experiment, which involved 32 men subjected to long-term semi-starvation and refeeding. In 1996, scientists at the University of Geneva in Switzerland duplicated the methods used in the Minnesota Experiment in order to (1) determine whether the control of energy partitioning between lean tissue and fat tissue during weight loss and weight recovery is an individual characteristic; (2) determine whether the reduction in weight calorie-wasting thermogenesis during weight loss persists during weight recovery, and underlies the disproportionate regain of fat tissue; and (3) integrate the control of energy partitioning and that of thermogenesis in order to explain the pattern of lean-and fat-tissue mobilization and deposition during weight loss and weight recovery. The men were assessed according to body weight, body fat, lean-body mass, and basal metabolic rate at the end of 24 weeks of semistarvation and again after 12 weeks of restricted refeeding. These measurements were used to calculate the parameter known as the P ratio, defined as the proportion of body energy mobilized as protein during weight loss or as the proportion of body energy deposited as protein during weight recovery. The data from this study suggest that lean-and-fat-tissue deposition during weight recovery is to a large extent determined by individual variations in the initial percentage of body fat. So, the lower your body fat is and the more muscle you have, the greater will be your potential to become more fit.

Fasting and protein utilization
A very important factor in building muscle is optimizing the way your body utilizes protein. Fasting has been shown time and again to accelerate the bodyÕs ability to produce protein in skeletal muscle. Studies performed at Cornell University show that when subjects are starved for 24 hours, cellular energy decreases but there is no decrease in cell protein. The body relies heavily on fats and carbohydrates for energy during a fast but spars protein, and if you time the breaking of the fast properly, you can optimize your protein utilization.

According to scientists from Pennsylvania State UniversityÕs College of Medicine in Hershey, protein synthesis in skeletal muscle is markedly stimulated (180 percent of control rate) within three hours of eating in subjects who had fasted for 18 hours. This would be the time period between starvation phases II and III.

Researchers at the Gumma University School of Medicine in Maebashi, Japan, found in their studies on protein synthesis and utilization that starvation considerably increased the amount of the peptide transporter present in the small intestine. This peptide transporter is responsible for the uptake of small peptides (amino-acid chains) in the small intestine. Therefore, during starvation more peptides are absorbed for the synthesis of protein. An interesting side note of the study is that dietary administration of amino acids decreased the amount of peptide transporter present in the small intestine.

Another substance critical to protein synthesis is A. M.P.-activated protein kinase. This is an enzyme important in cellular adaptation to the stress of starvation.

In an article in the December 25, 1998, Journal of Biology and Chemistry the authors assert that, thanks to A.M.P-activated protein kinase, protein production dramatically increased in test subjects who had fasted.

The utilization of proteins and the involvement of lipids (fats) under starvation conditions was investigated by scientists at 15 the Centre d'Ecologie et Physiologie Energetiques, in Strasabourg, France. They that the shift from Phase II (protein sparing) to Phase III (increased protein breakdown) there is a change from the preferential use of lipids to a preferential utilization of proteins. They also found that the total activity of the enzyme carnitine palmitoyl transferase was substantially higher in subjects at the end of Phase II of starvation.

Carnitine palmitoyl transferase is responsible for helping to create palmitoylcarnitine, which facilitates the transfer of long-chain fatty acids from the cytoplasm of the cell into the mitochondria during the oxidation of fatty acids. Carnitine palmitoyl transferase was 48 percent higher in subjects studied at the end of Phase II than it was in fed subjects but was similar in fed subjects and subjects studied at the beginning of Phase III. And the total activity of fatty acyl-CoA (the coenzyme responsible for fat oxidation) was 73 percent lower only in subjects studied at the beginning of Phase III. It appears that a fast must be broken at the end of Phase II or the very beginning of Phase lll for ultimate protein synthesis and fat burning.

A viable option for those who wish to try fasting for muscle growth and health would be to have an early supper, fast overnight (approximately 18 hours), weight train upon waking, and then eat a meal of high-quality proteins, carbohydrates, and fats. Or one fast throughout the day and break the fast with an evening meal.
"

you can find it in :

http://boards.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=146548&perpage

"Ultimate Fat Loss Plan "

Hope this help.

okay NC man, you've done some crazy shit but DO NOT DO THIS!, I belived in the benifit of fasting for a while too and it FUCKED ME UP physically (I was running like you too). If you really wanna do it, do the quick fix diet, it provides the same benifits of fasting with NO MUSCLE LOSS, ALL FAT.

I read that article too and tried it (I could never find that psu study either, if anyone has it, please hit me up with it), all I saw was slow muscle loss.

He made the thread on the quick fix diet. Also Mak, can you pm me? I asked you a question in that other thread but it fell to the bottom of the page.

i think this would be the perfect thing to do to get ripped. heres my theory on it.

ok we all know that the first day of a strict diet you get the most results. and after a while you do a strict diet your results slow so severly to wear you barley see any more fat being dropped. because your metabolizm afterwhile gets so freakin low, and then you tend to pig out, then its like a double edge sword, because when u pig out when your metabolizm is low you tend to put on ALOT more fat, because your in starvation mode.

if you eat slightly above maintance or at maintance you will be in a constant anabolic mode during the week. then say on sunday u decide to eat nothing but your required protien with very little fat and carbs. in just one day your bodys metabolizm wont downregulate that much, it will still be running fast, all while your taking in very little calories then the next day you eat normal again. i would suggest taking an eca or something to get you through the day, but dont take any stimulants during the week. just take stimulants one day out of the week. what do you guys think

I have been known to fast for hours at a time...I call it sleep.

B True

nclifter6feet6 said:
i think this would be the perfect thing to do to get ripped. heres my theory on it.

ok we all know that the first day of a strict diet you get the most results. and after a while you do a strict diet your results slow so severly to wear you barley see any more fat being dropped. because your metabolizm afterwhile gets so freakin low, and then you tend to pig out, then its like a double edge sword, because when u pig out when your metabolizm is low you tend to put on ALOT more fat, because your in starvation mode.

if you eat slightly above maintance or at maintance you will be in a constant anabolic mode during the week. then say on sunday u decide to eat nothing but your required protien with very little fat and carbs. in just one day your bodys metabolizm wont downregulate that much, it will still be running fast, all while your taking in very little calories then the next day you eat normal again. i would suggest taking an eca or something to get you through the day, but dont take any stimulants during the week. just take stimulants one day out of the week. what do you guys think

Your theory is definitely interesting, but are you saying that in that ONE day of fasting, you'd lose a significant amount of fat? I mean, even if your metabolism is high and you're severly calorie deprived, what's the most you could lose in ONE day? 1 lb? 2 lbs? Max--3 lbs? Not that that's bad... I mean that still comes out to 1-3 lbs per week which isn't bad at all... if this idea really works they way you've explained it.

How much protein would you eat on this day? 1g/lb BW? 2g? And is it still considered "fasting" then?

Shit you sure are running a lot! How's that going for you? You dropping the lbs or what? I always lose the most fat when I run... much more than when I do the stairclimber anyway.

Keep up the good work bro... keep us updated... later

Top Bottom