Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Sweetners and Post Workout

KWKSLVR

Weird question. Now, i know that a good method to replensh glycogen stores is to have a little bit of simple sugar after you work out. Since i'm on a low carb diet, is there anything besides sugar that will do the trick and won't cause an insulin spike?

Will Maltodextrin do it? Its a filler in Splenda and i bet i could make one hell of a lemonade out of this stuff. What about Dextrose (aka SweetN Low)?

Fructose or glycerol might do the trick. Otherwise you could just eat a low GI starch with protein and fat to reduce the size of the insulin spike. But really, if you don't want to spike your insulin at all then just straight protein will get you there slowly.

sweet 'n low is saccharin, not dextrose...

what about using corn syrup for postworkout protein sweetener? i've been using it because i'm too lazy to order dextrose -- is it an appropriate substitute?

i noticed that splenda

scruples said:
sweet 'n low is saccharin, not dextrose...

what about using corn syrup for postworkout protein sweetener? i've been using it because i'm too lazy to order dextrose -- is it an appropriate substitute?

has dextrose and maltodextrin in it No apartame or any of that shit.

There is not enough dextrose or maltodextrins in those sweeteners to refill glycogen. High fructose corn syrup will work, though you would have to eat a lot of it since it will fill liver glycogen first, and then if there's any leftover it will slowly fill muscle glycogen. If you want to refill muscle glycogen why don't you just eat some carbs??? If you're insulin resistant then stuff like fructose is also pretty bad for you even though it's low GI. If you're not insulin resistant then don't worry about it.

the reason simple sugars are good at restoring glycogen levels is because of the insulin spike they create, so why do u not want an insulin spike?

and ala i dont think effects the amount of insulin secreted, though it will definitely cause more of the carbs to be used by the muscle than being sent to adipose tissue.

Well, if i don't have anything to worry about then i'll just dive right in. The main thing is that after a hard workout, i mean really, really hard, sometimes my muscles are sore for WAY to long, i'm talking almost a week sometimes. My theory is that it has to do with being on a Keto diet. I know they aren't good for body building, but i'm not a body builder ;)

I just don't want overly-sore muscles

Top Bottom