Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Sweet Potato/Yam

Daisy_Girl

Plat Hero
Platinum
What are the differences between a Sweet Potato and a Yam? I know they are two different things, but how are they different? Carb content? GI Index? Calories? Fiber? ETC ETC.....

Thanks..... :)

They are the same thing. BUT, do be confused as to candied yams vs sweet potato. Sweet potatoes are great (if you leave the butter off!) carbs and a great bodybuilding food. It is a complex carb. I personally like the Texas LoneStar Sweet Potatoes with butter and sugar/cinnamon, but it will ruin my diet! Anyway, stay away from the yams in cans. They are generally sweetened with corn syrup which is too much sugar. Normal baked sweet potatoes are great! Also, try them cut up and bake them in the oven. Excellent source of vitamins (beta-c). Geoff

Wow...I looked at the thread too. Maybe I was wrong. I was always told sweet potatoes and yams are the same. They are so close if they are different. Generally, someone making candied yams make them out of sweet potatoes and corn syrup/or sugar.

MissChris said:
This thread may be helpful for you. :)

Thanks for the info - I did a search but didn't come up with anything useful (stupid non-plat membership!). I appreciate the replies!

I now have both sweet potatos and yams at home - made both and decided I like yams better. :) Put some splenda and cinnamon on it...it's like dessert!

geoffgarst said:
Wow...I looked at the thread too. Maybe I was wrong. I was always told sweet potatoes and yams are the same. They are so close if they are different. Generally, someone making candied yams make them out of sweet potatoes and corn syrup/or sugar.

I do know that they are different, but used almost interchangeably. Candied yams...yum...I really love those. Wish I could make THAT a staple in my diet.... :p

I like the taste of plain yams better, too. A little sweeter - they taste perfect to me without any toppings or seasonings. :)

OMG, me too Babyfaced. I'd eat nothing but oatmeal all day long if it weren't impractical, lol. Mmm, a big bowl of oatmeal with chocolate protein powder and a little peanut butter stirred in. Heck, I'll happily eat the stuff plain. :)

Top Bottom