Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

supporting evidence that chemically enhanced users don't need outrageous protein

jaytaylor84

let's dispel this protein myth once and for all!!!
found this on another forum

"The most frequently asked question I get about Eat Stop Eat is about protein.

Typically it goes something like this:

"Brad, I'm having a lot of success with Eat Stop Eat, but I'm
wondering about my workouts. Don't I need to eat protein after my
workouts to make my muscles grow?"

It's a very good question. One that has piqued my interest enough
to figure perhaps it's time I reviewed the research and see if I can find a definitive answer.

It's a difficult topic to cover, and I have found some very
interesting research. One particular study was so interesting, I
wanted to share it with you today as an "advanced showing" of what is in my new book.

In a really interesting study published back in 1996, 43 men who
were experienced weight lifters took part in a study that involved exercise and weekly injections of testosterone enanthate for 10 weeks.

Yep, these boys were on steroids for the benefit of science!

They were divided into 4 groups.

The first group performed no exercise and didn't get any steroids.

The second group performed exercise but didn't get steroids,

The third group didn't exercise but received the weekly injections

The fourth group exercised and received the injections.

As you can imagine after 10 weeks of lifting weights 3 times per
week, the group that was receiving the steroid injections gained
over 13 pounds of muscle.

The group who were just working out (no steroids) didn't do too bad
either, packing on almost 4.5 pounds of muscle in only ten weeks.

The guys who sat around doing nothing for 10 weeks but received
the steroid injections still had an increase in lean mass (almost 6
pounds), while the group who received no steroids and didn't workout
did not see any change in their lean mass.

So what does a study on steroids have to do with nutrition? well,
all four groups were on the same diet. They were all consuming
about 0.7 grams of protein per pound of body weight and about
16 Calories per pound of body weight.

What this shows is that for a group taking steroids while
exercising, 120 grams of protein per day was enough to supply the
amount of protein needed to allow for a 13.5 pound gain in lean
mass!

It was also the same amount of protein the the exercise only group
ate to gain 4.5 pounds, and the other groups ate to see their gains,
(or lack thereof).

So for the groups who saw less gains in lean mass then the steroid
group, the amount of protein that they ate was not what determined
how much muscle they gained. The workouts (and the steroids) did
that.

Lastly, it should be noted that none of these guys took a post
workout protein meal. In other words, guys on steroids put on over
13 pounds, while guys just working out put on almost 5 pounds, all
without the supposed "essential" post workout meal.

Obviously, the steroids played a huge role in this muscle building
effect. But the important point I want to get across to you is
that the relatively normal protein intake of 120 grams per day did
not hinder the steroids muscle building effects. 120 grams was
enough protein to allow for relatively HUGE gains in muscle.

In the end, protein is important, but as this study shows, 0.7
grams of protein per pound of body weight is enough daily protein to
allow for a 13.5 pound increase in lean mass in 10 weeks. It's also
enough to allow for a 4.5 pound increase in people not taking
steroids, which is still very impressive muscle growth for a ten
week period!

For those of us who are not 'pharmaceutically enhanced' this study
helps support the idea that your workout is the most important part
of your muscle building journey.

So you can get the amazing weight loss benefits of fasting and you
can workout during your fasts, with the advantage of knowing that
even though you are may not be eating a post-workout protein meal,
your muscles are still being worked, and therefore are still going
to grow.

Get a great workout, put in a great effort, see great results, it
might just be that simple."

Lyle Mcdonald has also stated in a personal message to a member on another forum that by his guess someone who is chemically enhanced would probably receive a 25% protein synthesis enhancement.

another member on rxmuscle.com called swiper has the shittiest diet imaginable but it's unreal how much muscle he's maintained on that diet.. here is the link..

Swiper - Rx Muscle | Gymnation

brad pilon's research led to the perspective that natural trainees only need 80 -120 grams of protein.. even with lyle's guess that enhanced users receiving a 25% edge that comes out to be 150 grams of protein per day using 120g+25% of of 120

what do you guys think

I've always thought that we eat way more protein than is necessary. However, unless you have health issues I don't think its necessarily bad for you. A constant supply of amino acids ensure we have plenty (more than enough) for muscle building and our other biological requirements - which take precedence over muscle building. Also, I personally feel that it is relatively difficult for the body to use protein for energy, so a diet high in protein is less likely to make you fat than a diet high in carbs or even fat.

Also that experiment focused on muscle building - I'm not sure if there is any difference but I also like to keep a high protein content in my diet while trying to cut fat, for all the same reasons above - and it may be more important.. Who knows.

Most people tend to exxagerate things and take it to extremes. That's why you see guys consuming ridiculous amounts of protein. I wouldn't go lower than 1g per pound of bodyweight, bit anything over 1.5g is absolutely unnecessary and only contributes to kidney strain

For me personally I went from 135 to 171... (currently) and fairly lean... I love fitness and plan to make a career out of it and as everyone knows if you want to be "someone" in this industry... i.e. a successful personal trainer/physique competitor/bodybuilder it's almost a necessity to blast and cruise or cycle. I've accepted the risks of being on TRT for the rest of my life.. but at current.. using 300 mgs of test.. and I've found even with using 1.5 grams of protein per pround lbm I wasn't growing anymore.. I felt like I had less energy in the gym.. I was still pretty lean but I assume all this happened in regards to the high protein intake...furthermore I was sick of the idea of eating tons of meat, consuming a half a doze to a dozen raw eggs everynight, milk out the yin yang..

I know most of you guys here ascribe to the 1-1.5 rule or even higher.. but has anyone honestly did a comparison? everyone says while ~on if you're not growing eat more protein but essentially could some just be going wrong by not eating enough calories?

I certainly find it easier(and feel better) eating around 1 gram per lb bw and getting the rest from carbs.

The guys who drink the protein shakes in the locker room in my gym are the 140lbser.. the bigger guys will go home have a meal or to the canteen in college to pound down some pasta. To me it seems like a marketing scheme made up by the supplement companies

Sent from my GT-N7100 using EliteFitness

and this is the kind of advice I was looking for..i recently dropped the protein intake and noticed QUICKLY that im getting a bit bigger around the midsection and the scale is going up.. I know protein has a thermogenic effect too, probably why I wasn't gaining!.. but I ~know what my body is telling me when I don't ~want~ nor do I have the ~desire to eat more protein(meat,eggs,etc) ascribing to this 1.5 per lb lbm theory...even with the 220 lb guys I don't see how anyone needs 1.5x 220 lbs bw in protein.. makes me question really how much we can synthesize

this is actually 100% correct and I will tell you why. AAS nutrition partitions so when you are juicing you actually can get away with way less food to grow then someone who isn't on the juice.

not sure what is complicated about that.

also protein shakes, protein bars. you can get 500g of that crap a day and thats your business. but give me 150g of REAL food protein and it will blow away 500g of protein from shakes/bars i guarantee you

Theres a lot of variables that are not discussed in that study that cencerning the controls and prior lives of the participants but i agree with the main premise of the study. Its also some of the same stuff that is preached by some of the best in the bb business. Farah and dorian say that more than 2 per lb is more than enough to grow and in fact carbs play a big role in growing as well. We have been conditioned by ads to think more is better so we ingest as much protein as possible thinking if we dont we hinder ourselves but in fact are making our kidneys work overtime and eventually may lead to kidney failure and dialysis. A clean natural diet of protein, carbs, and veggies will work wonders. I know from experience

Sent from my SPH-L710 using EliteFitness

but isn't 2 per lb still too much? even getting 1.5 per lb lbm feels like WORK for me.. but then again I was trying to get it from whole foods.. i.e. eating 1 dozen raw eggs a day + a pound and a half of chicken wings, tons of milk.. I do IF so that might have something to do with it.. getting 3500-4000 cals a day in an 8 hour window lol

Top Bottom