Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

sugar alcholol

Gambler

I recently bought some great tasting cocconut flavor protien bars. As I was reading the label it said that the bar contained 19g's of sugar alcholol. This wasn't included in the carb count but was listed seperately.

My question is what is sugar alcholol and is it acceptable in a bobybuilding diet or did someone figure out a sneaky way to make the bars taste good.

"Sugar Alcohol" is a term the FDA requires to be used in the Nutrition Facts panel to list a group of sugar substitutes called "polyols" which include Maltitol and Isomalt. Sugar Alcohol is not sugar or alcohol, it is a hydrogenated liquid starch derived and processed from corn.

it has less calories than a regular carb (4 cal/g)

Anthrax said:

it has less calories than a regular carb (4 cal/g)

Could be wrong - but I was under the impression that glycerine had a nutritional value of 4.32 calories per gram...

....on a side note - sugar alcohols shouldn't raise insulin levels in the manner that traditional carbs would....which is why they are often found in diabetic "candies" and things of that nature....

Stryc-9 said:

Could be wrong - but I was under the impression that glycerine had a nutritional value of 4.32 calories per gram...

....on a side note - sugar alcohols shouldn't raise insulin levels in the manner that traditional carbs would....which is why they are often found in diabetic "candies" and things of that nature....
true!

Sorry guys but it was true!

3.0 calories per gram hydrogenated starch hydrolysates
2.6 calories per gram sorbitol
2.4 calories per gram xylitol
2.1 calories per gram maltitol
2.0 calories per gram isomalt
2.0 calories per gram lactitol
1.6 calories per gram mannitol
0.2 calories per gram erythritol

Copyright © 2002 Calorie Control Council

Top Bottom