Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Soy beans-anti estrogen properties?!

3B

I'll post more on this tomorrow when i go home and get the name of the chemical substance contained within soy beans but i just wanted to hear if any of the mods (particularly those with scientific/nutrition backgrounds) had got any research on this.
It was reported as part of a nutrition/science show on tv here (Japan). The researchers were saying that the substance contained in it binded itself to the estrogen receptors in the body.
to what levels this is effective and whether or not this is even relevent i don't know (i think the point of the research was preventing breast cancer... could be wrong)
any thoughts?

I think soy is considered a "phyto-estrogen" which is basically a plant form of estrogen. After hearing that, I drink only whey isolate protein :)

BUT, you'd better get some more replies because I'm not sure of it's ANTI-estrogen capabilities.

later

"Another study found that soy may be actually antiestrogenic. . They may also act as antiestrogens by
competing for the binding sites of estrogen receptors or the active site of the estrogen biosynthesizing and metabolizing enzymes, such as aromatase and estrogen-specific 17 beta-hydroxysteroid oxidoreductase"

but its not proven i don't believe.

yap soy has some estrogen like thing in it. cause i know that women when they go through metapause they suppliment with it to raise estrogen levels i guess. i dont know my mom takes that shit and she says its for estrogen.

also on it being a phytoestrogen....

"There are very little data on effects of phytoestrogens in males. Estrogenic effects in wildlife have been
described but the evidence for the role of phytoestrogens is indirect and seen under conditions of excessive exposure."

And what is most interesting about this study is that it was conducted by one of the same researchers at the same univeristy as the study that found genistein lowered testoserone serum levels. This researcher concluded that even though he found genestein has estrogenic effects, it really cant be concluded because of the above statement in his other reasearch findings. Hence, he found soy to be estrogenic, but it really cant be "hard" evidence because there is not enough proof and it involves ridiculous conditions.

Phytoestoesgens are reported to have estoesgen like activites in humans. Like water retention and weight gain etc. I don't know as to what level but I'm staying away from them. Also I heard that some studies suggest that they lower sperm count.

thanks for all the replies. I'll look into this a bit more and see if i can dig anything out. however, i think the research they were talking about was proven stuff. obviously it was in japanese though...
I'll check it out
thanks again

Top Bottom