Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

To soda or not to soda?

swordfish151

Ok im interested in knowing "why" its not OK to consume Diet Soda? is it or isnt it...i remember someone said due to the carbination? but im not sure..i know that some advice heavy diet soda drinkers to stop consuming it and they will see a change in weight? why? its diet..had no calories? can someone enlighten me?

I can see no problems. the killer with sodas is the high simple carb (sugars) count. Maybe its people who have wised up to the "no added sugar" or "Reduced Sugar" farce where marketing companies told us this without telling us the massive sugar content in regular sodas in the first place. Its easy to be "Diet" if thats the case. However, Diet Coke is fine. I prefer the isotonics as a workout drink though. Might as well drink water as D-Coke.

I know I haven't answered your question, but just my £0.02!

It is not the carbination of the product which you need to be concerned with, rather the following ingredients:

phosphoric acid
potassium sorbate
sodium benzoate
sodium citrate
ascorbic acid

In the majority of products, diet brands will have a higher caffeine content than the regular brand.

The caffeine will create an acidic condition in the stomach which may lead to GI problems with higher consumption over longer periods of time. The phosphoric acid will lower the pH value of your saliva and in order for your body to compensate for this, it pulls calcium from bone (including teeth) to act as a buffer. The potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate are used as preserving agents against yeasts and fungi. The sodium citrate is used to keep the acidity level of the drink lower than it otherwise would be. The ascorbic acid is used as an anti-oxidant.

Sodas or diet-sodas have no nutritional value whatsoever and any calories which they may contain are classed as 'empty' ones. It just doesn't make sense to pay for and consume a product which has the potential to remove more from your body than it delivers.

Stick to water.

KP -- Fitness Basics

Aye, not to soda.

A girl that goes to my gym told me the other day that diet soda will actually slow your metabolism because of the sweeteners and such in it. So, she said if you're going to drink soda it might as well be the real thing. She is a certified trainer and a chiropractor, so maybe it holds a little truth, but it sounds fishy to me. Any ideas guys?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is not the carbination of the product which you need to be concerned with, rather the following ingredients:

phosphoric acid
potassium sorbate
sodium benzoate
sodium citrate
ascorbic acid

In the majority of products, diet brands will have a higher caffeine content than the regular brand.

The caffeine will create an acidic condition in the stomach which may lead to GI problems with higher consumption over longer periods of time. The phosphoric acid will lower the pH value of your saliva and in order for your body to compensate for this, it pulls calcium from bone (including teeth) to act as a buffer. The potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate are used as preserving agents against yeasts and fungi. The sodium citrate is used to keep the acidity level of the drink lower than it otherwise would be. The ascorbic acid is used as an anti-oxidant.

Sodas or diet-sodas have no nutritional value whatsoever and any calories which they may contain are classed as 'empty' ones. It just doesn't make sense to pay for and consume a product which has the potential to remove more from your body than it delivers.

Stick to water.

Ya what he said...

KIAN said:

phosphoric acid
potassium sorbate
sodium benzoate
sodium citrate
ascorbic acid

Stick to water.

KP -- Fitness Basics

Isn't Ascorbic Acid the same as Vitamin C???

pintoca said:
Isn't Ascorbic Acid the same as Vitamin C???

Yes. Ascorbic acid is also known as Vitamin C.

If it was normal, solid food you were consuming then there probably wouldn't be a problem. But since it is in a liquid form, the tendency is to consume more than you need. Although ascorbic acid will not be stored within the body, it may cause gastrointestinal problems (ie: diarrhea, nausea, abdominal cramps), kidney stones, mouth sores, and frequent urination. This would also depend upon how sensitive an individual is as some people may experience these symptoms at low doses, while others can push it to a mega dose. The other ingredients in the soft drink, however, would have an effect long before the ascorbic acid did, if any.

KP -- Fitness Basics

swordfish151 said:
Ok im interested in knowing "why" its not OK to consume Diet Soda? is it or isnt it...i remember someone said due to the carbination? but im not sure..i know that some advice heavy diet soda drinkers to stop consuming it and they will see a change in weight? why? its diet..had no calories? can someone enlighten me?

diet sodas is just bad as the rest of the regular sodas

stick to vodka;)

I have read that some drink soda post workout to replenish glycogen. There are better sources to replenish glycogen in my opinion though

very interesting info Kian..i dont drink soda in any form whatsoever, but i do get asked alot why its bad to drink soda! thanks!

Top Bottom