Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

So whats an empty calorie anyway?

slickdadd

I understand to some extent what it means....but whats it really mean. A calorie is a calorie i thought.

an emty calorie=a calorie that provides no nutritional value.. a calorie that is not from fat,carb or protein. like alchohol

other than spelling "empty" wrong Jet just gave one of the most accurate and succinct (look it up) answers I've seen on these boards in a long time. perfect answer, no more, no less.

I prefer the looser definition of an empty calorie any calories that are not beneficial to your body. This could be because it has no fiber, vitamins or protein, but is high in saturated fats, sugars and salt. If you consume a lot of this food while blobbing in front of the TV I would consider it empty calories. Also in this category are foods like coke which you drink instead of eating some whole grains and veggies. There is a time post weights workout where sugar could be consider NOT empty, but otherwise they don't do a body good.

Jet's answer still stands. Coca-cola might not be all that healthy, but it could,under certain circumstances provide worthwhile nutritional benefits. As could the shit people eat sitting on their couches watching TV. An empty calorie provides nothing in any nutritional category BUT the calorie.(no vitamins,minerals, protein) What we personally consider to be crap doesn't necessarily constitute an empty calorie. (not that I don't agree with your opinion on the general lack of benefits some of that couch food presents.)

I figured since I have my nutrition textbook nearby I'd share its definition of an empty calorie:

"A popular term used to denote foods that contribute energy but are lacking protein, vitamins, and minerals. Empty-calorie foods are low-nutrient density foods. The most notorious empty-calorie foods are sugar, fat, and alcohol."

Top Bottom