Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Sleep or not to sleep that is the ?

givmejst1night

I know sleep is vital for our health as bodybuilders, but I always have wondered about this....... I am unable to sleep for 8 hours straight I get to bed late around 3:00 am and then wake up at 6:00 I know thats not enough sleep but I always take 2-3 hour naps in the middle of the day. Is naping in the middle of the day bad when you are dieting because I usually eat something and go to sleep.

I know some people say it doesn't matter its all just calorie counting but if I eat and then sleep is it bad or ok If I am calorie counting ?

your body actually needs prolonged periods of quality sleep to recover from the micro cellular damage you inflict on it through training. So i would advice you to try to cut out the naps and get some good sleep at night. Should be a hella lot better for yer social life too i think

_jaap_ said:
your body actually needs prolonged periods of quality sleep to recover from the micro cellular damage you inflict on it through training. So i would advice you to try to cut out the naps and get some good sleep at night. Should be a hella lot better for yer social life too i think

I actually don't believe the body needs sleep to repair muscle. I believe sleep is more for the brain which can't otherwise be as inactive. Either way I agree upon its importance in bodybuilding.

I think the longer sleeping cycles are more effective being that during sleep we naturally pass in and out of several states and its believed that in the deepest state is when pathways are being repaired/restructured in the brain. if say the duration for a complete cycle was 40mintutes. If you sleep in 3 hour chunks you would fit in 4 complete cycles each time. sleep that way for 9 hours (3 hours 3 times a day) and you get 12 cycles.

Now sleep 9 hours straight, and you get 13 cycles.

The numbers I chose didn't put much of a gap, 12-13 cycles, but I've no idea what the average cycles time is and I'm sure it varies from person to person. grabbing a quick 30minute nap usually gives people energy whereas 1hr people seem dead trying to wake up, mabe the cycles are longer, and the 1hr people are in pretty deep and thats why they feel dead. who knows.

I just feel its is better to get the sleep ina chunk and mabe a light nap if you need it, I don't feel it has much effect on muscle growth unless the sleep/or lack ther of is effecting you negatively in other ways. Lack of sleep does seem to make you more suseptible to infections, as a study has shown that rats kept awake will die in around 13 days from seemingly no other cause but infection. They did lose weight but it was noted that it was probably a result of the infection.

Can't grow to well if you body is busy fighting off colds.

The lack of sleep isn't verywell understood yet, and the only studies I remember reading regarding frequency and time all indicated an average of 8 hours sleep for maximum alertness and suggested that contininual unbroken sleep was optimal.

I also remeber reading somethig about sleep debt and how the evidence of sleep deprivation can be seen in individuals who have been resting correctly for for a few weeks, when they have previously had a lack of sleep. One suggested that sleep debt can be acculmulated for possibly even a year. Meaning that you can't simply catch up w/ a few nights good sleep (though you will feel alot better). Unfortunatly there was no indication there is such thing as a sleep bank.

you can get away with not sleeping for a short period of time.... maybe a couple of days...... but i would make the weekend a very must needed catch up day.

you need the continuous sleep..... but try and play catch up if you can

X

I think you'd be all right. I read an article in which Flavio Bacciani said that he only sleeps about 4 hours per day and look at what he looks like.

It's not well understood what function REM sleep plays, but when REM sleep is deprived, the brain attempts to compensate for the lack of REM sleep by making up for it the next night (REM rebound).

Surprisingly, there isn't a lot of empirical evidence to support the notion that sleep is essential for repair and restoration of the body and brain. In fact, nearly all of the processes of repair and restoration occur equally well during a wakened state regardless of the amount of sleep time. Now don't get me wrong; sleep definitely helps with a lot of mental functions, and REM seems to play an important role in strengthening and consolidating new memories. However, there is stronger evidence to support the theory that sleep is an adaptive response to environmental conditions. Essentially, becuase we rely primarily on our sense of site, and our site is impaired at night, we sleep at night. This is a result of evolution of the human species-sleep at night instead of wandering around in the dark risking being eaten.

And you typically cycle through the 5 stages of sleep about 4 or 5 times during an average 8 hr sleep period.

N-10-CITY said:
Surprisingly, there isn't a lot of empirical evidence to support the notion that sleep is essential for repair and restoration of the body and brain. In fact, nearly all of the processes of repair and restoration occur equally well during a wakened state regardless of the amount of sleep time.

You want some empirical data? Stay awake for 48-72 hours. Tell me how you feel. How's your workouts? Can you concentrate or are the hallucinations starting to get to you? Hell, can you even make the 72 hour mark? I doubt it! Sleep is absolutely essential to the human body. Period. As for the whole "empirical data" part. I think you may have just plain misused the word empirical. I know lots of people who have not slept for a while and they are completely fucked until they sleep. There's your empirical data. Perhaps you should look up the word empirical. That might help you out a little bit.

Top Bottom