Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Should you drain the grease from Lean Ground Beef?

vtec96

I have ALWAYS drained the grease after cooking some ground beef. However I was recently thinking about something.....

I now buy Extra lean ground beef 96/4. I know there are some good fats in there that I might be losing by draining it. There are some sat fats as well, but at only around 1.5g per 4oz, I dont think it's too much! Would draining be a bad idea in this situation? :p

Humm... Gymtime..... The lable says something like 4.5g total fat and only 1.5g sat fat. I would think the 3g of unsat fat would be some kind of good fat..... Also doesn't it contain CLA? (not sure of this)

As a rule, animal fat, saturated or unsaturated is not beneficial. I regret I can't remember the nutritional reasons for that. I've always just avoided animal fat as much as possible. I think you're better off draining as much as you can.

I buy the 93 percent lean, and I don't drain it, cause than the hamburgers become dry, I'm sure it has fat, but to me its a trivial amount.

I tend to believe that some fat is always good. If you keep a good diet and really work, it won't do damage. Burgers are yummy.

:destroy:

Ground beef contains just about all the same fats that are in non-animal foods. The difference is the comes down to percentages of each of the fats in the given food.

Awhile back, when I was eating 4% ground beef, I never noticed any grease. Some time after that, I was eating ground beef around 10-12% which yielded a lot of grease after cooking it. It was disgusting and I no longer eat that gross shit. I prefer to eat steaks. They may have just as much fat, but at least their not drenched with grease.

I'm precontest dieting right now, and I'm still having a meal with 93% extra lean ground beef. Doesn't really affect me, or you, as long as we're sensible with the other meals and have good exercise programs....

Other Reasons....

Cholesterol is important for maintaining healthy cell walls and I suspect that quite a bit of it gathers in the grease. But I would instead get my sat fat from leaner meats like turkey because there are, in my mind, a good number of bio-hazardous agents lurking in most livestock fat cells. Not only are the animals subject to stressful conditions, but they are routinely fed anti-biotics and corn (plus cement powder and sawdust as fillers) that has been treated with hazardous pesticides.

I like to believe I can just keep eating these things and that nothing will ever happen, but if I have fresh, organic food sources, then it's a good idea to use my brain for what it was meant for....keeping me alive and well.

B

ps. Mustard, someone at the gym was telling me that pre-contest, he stays away from all red meat because of the creatine content. And that it wouldn't be enough to matter, usually, but that most bb'ers are eating loads of protein and if much of it comes from red meats, the creatine content will be enough to cause water retention. What's your thought on it?

Top Bottom