Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Resistant starch

anthrax

MVP
EF VIP
I have never heard of such a type of carbs!

Sal Abraham, M.,S., R.D
(leanBodies)

there are some new forms of carbohydrates in the sport supplements industry. One such type of carbohydrate is amylose resistant starch. Resistant starch is comprised of an 80% Amylose and 20% Amylopectin carbohydrate [18,19]. This unique structure allows the resistant carbohydrate to release from the stomach four times slower than regular carbohydrates. In fact it is currently used in other health products for the purpose of slowly releasing carbohydrates overnight in order to maintain healthy morning blood sugar levels. Some nutritional products brag about having a low glycemic rating. They accomplish this task by using a low amount of carbohydrates combined with sugar alcohol and artificial sweeteners. Resistant starch is the next frontier in insulin regulation. Resistant starch can use a moderate amount of carbohydrates with no need for sugar alcohol and provide low insulin levels, which produces a very low glycemic rating

Liljeberg, H, Bjorck, I. 1994. Bioavailability of starch in bread products. Postprandial glucose and insulin responses in healthy subjects and in vitro resistant starch content Eur J Clin Nutr. Mar; 48(3): 151-163.

This article is the only thing I have

I don't know where to find those kind of carbs

Amylase resistant starches have been studied for a while now, and seem to be better for glycemic control, reducing cholesterol absorption and possibly preventing colon cancer. They do not slow starch release fom the stomach, but work by passing through the stomach and small intestine undigested, then they hit the large intestine where bacteria ferment them to short chain fatty acids. These fatty acids are what your blood stream "sees", so in some ways they don't act much like carbs at all. They're certainly not much use is you wanna, for instance, refill muscle glycogen.

They are found to varying degrees in many grains. I don't know where you can buy commercial quantities of isolated resistant starch, but adding whole foods such as mung beans and pumperknickel bread (to name 2 of many) will increase you natural intake. In general it's a safe bet is to only eat whole grains. Their digestion is slower, they are higher in resistant starch, and also have a lot of undigestible fiber. All good for ya. Avoid processed grains like the plague!!

Thanks MS for the info. I have a question on what you mean by "whole grains", would that include for example whole wheat bread? I'm asking b/c i'm not clear on whole grain and processed grains.

thanks in advance

Good question. In general 'whole grains' do not include breads. All breads are made from milled (in other words pulverized) grains, and this renders the starches easier to digest. A whole grain should look like a grain. Basically the whole seed from a grass. Whole legumes (such as mung bean) are also good. Again it should look like the whole, unprocessed, seed from the plant to be optimal. If you're not accustomed to eating 100% whole grains I suggest you try something like good old fashioned barley soup to begin with, then work you way up from there.

Resistance starch is formed during processing at high temperatures. In the food industry high temps. occur during kilning, extrusion, and pelleting. This form of starch is named because it is resistant to subsequent breakdown by enzymes, and it travels down to the large intestine and is fermented by bacteria into short chain fatty acids like MS stated. The major amylose form is that which has gelled or undergone retrogradation. This form is found in processed foods such as extruded cereals. A natural form of resistant amylose is found in bananas.

MR. BMJ

MR BMJ, do you know if you Joe Average can buy purified resistant starch??

In terms of reducing glycemic impact, all dietary fibers are pretty good. This includes water-insoluble dietary fiber of wheat bran and enzyme-resistant amylose, as well as water-soluble dietary fibers, also found in wheat bran, guar gum, and xanthan gum for instance. These dietary fibers lower postprandial serum glucose levels at least by three mechanisms. First, dietary fibers increase the viscosity of small intestine juice and hinder diffusion of glucose; second, they bind glucose and decrease the concentration of available glucose in the small intestine; and, third, they retard alpha-amylase action through capsuling starch and the enzyme and may directly inhibit the enzyme (there are amylase inhibitors in some legumes for instance, phaseolin being the best known). All of these decrease the absorption rate of glucose and the concentration of postprandial serum glucose.

Top Bottom