Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is red onion healthier than white?

Humbington

Today in a TV show I haveseen them say that red onion is healthier and better than the usualwhite onion, they said it has lots more vitamins and nutrients. Doyou know if there is any particular benefit of red onion for abodybuilder? It costs more than the white onion, so I would like toknow if it is worth the price.

Red onion is definitely the better of the onions, as it contains a lot more vitamins and micro-nutrients that are not found in white onion. So if you have the possibility of buying the red one, better do so.

They are both good choices so I wouldn't overthink it. I use onions in quite a lot of foods I make. As for bodybuilding specifically, I do not know of any benefits outside of just being a healthy food.

So are there any specific differences, or this is just an overall conception of the red onion being better? It costs quite a lot more, so something there must be....

So are there any specific differences, or this is just an overall conception of the red onion being better? It costs quite a lot more, so something there must be....

Overall, red onions contain a higher amount of antioxidant compounds. They are higher in total flavonoids than white onions and yellow onions are considered to be in the middle

Red onions also contain slightly more fibre.

Red onion = 2g fiber per 100g
White onion = 1.2g fiber per 100g.

There are quite a few commonalities between both red and white onions. Both types of onions are considered low on the glycemic index, with a rating of 10. They both also provide about 10 percent of the daily value for vitamin C and the same amount of calcium per serving.
Although white onions contain .5 more grams of fiber and a higher amount of sulfur, red onions have been found to contain a higher amount of many other beneficial nutrients.
So, pull out your red onions and whip up a dish to throw them in!
In general, the rule is that onions with a sharply strong taste, such as red onions, contain a higher amount of antioxidants. Red onions also win in the category of cancer prevention and blood thinning properties. Additionally, red onions contain less sugar compared to white onions, which is where they get their sweet taste from.
[h=3]– Antioxidant Properties[/h]Overall, red onions contain a higher amount of antioxidant compounds. They are higher in total flavonoids than white onions and yellow onions are considered to be in the middle. Red onions contain 415 to 1917 mg of flavonols compared to yellow ones, which only contain 270 to 1187 mg.
One of the most beneficial compounds in red onions is quercetin, which is a polyphenol compound. Quercetin is a powerful compound which is beneficial for scavenging free radicals in the body.
Red onions are also richer in anthocyanins which give them the red/purple color. Red onions were found to contain at least 25 different anthocyanins.
[h=3]– Cancer Fighting[/h]Due to the high amount of antioxidant properties contained in red onions compared to white, red onions provide stronger protection against cancer.
The quercetin and allicin in red onions have been shown to reduce inflammation and be beneficial for both the prevention and treatment of cancer.
Studies have shown that the consumption of onions reduces the risk of stomach, colorectal, oral, laryngeal, esophageal and ovarian cancer. According to one study, the risk of stomach cancer was reduced by 50% when half an onion was eaten daily.
[h=3]– Blood Thinning[/h]Both types of onions have blood thinning properties as they contain a high amount of flavonoids and sulfur compounds. However, red onions are an even more effective natural blood thinner as they are richer in flavonoids, which helps thin the blood.
[h=2]How To Get The Most Benefit[/h]The level of antioxidant flavonoids has been found to be much higher in the outer most layers of the onion. So make sure not to over peel, those outer layers have the most nutrients. According to a recent study peeling the first two layers of the onion removes 75 % of the antioxidant anthocyanins.
Make sure to get enough servings of onions into your diet, it is recommended that individuals eat at least 3 onions every week to get optimal benefits for preventing cancer.
For most benefit, make sure to include a variety of onions in your diet, but especially make sure to have at least one red onion a week!

Top Bottom