Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Red Beans + Brown Rice = Protein

Swole_2112

I've known for quite a while that when one consumes both red beans and brown rice at the same meal, the two form a complete protein. My question is how much brown rice combined with how large of a serving red beans equals how many grams of protein?

? cups brown rice + ? cups of red beans = ? grams protein

There are a lot easier ways to consume protein, rather then subjecting yourself to processing more carbs then you have to.

Well the meal is good carbs + you get some complete proteins by combining the two, sounds like a decent meal to me.

Swole_2112 said:
I've known for quite a while that when one consumes both red beans and brown rice at the same meal, the two form a complete protein. My question is how much brown rice combined with how large of a serving red beans equals how many grams of protein?

? cups brown rice + ? cups of red beans = ? grams protein
Just add the protein content of each together to get the total grams. When people say it forms a complete protein, it just means that when eaten together the combination of each of their amino acids will give you all 9 EAA's. Its not that the beans and rice combine to turn into some new food. A complete protein simply has all 9 by itself. Another sometimes used complete EAA combo is PB on wheat bread.

But then the question remains.. how much of each becomes balanced? Is it just 1 for 1? So one brown rice protein combined with 1 red bean protein makes available all protein amino acids? In which case, wouldn't it be more accurate to say that 1 rice protein plus 1 bean protein equals 1 complete protein? If so, it would be silly to just add the proteins together and leave it that. And then, how much of what amino acids are "left over" - for example, if, hypothetically, for the sake of explaining what I mean, one had 3 of 9 amino acids and another had 8 of 9, there would be 2 "left over" amino aicds which still have a function depending on what they are. So in which case, 1 + 1 = 1.2, 1 being the complete protein, and .2 being the "extra" amino acids, which could be further combined with some other ingredient in a recipe. What exactly is the math of the complete protein in the case of red beans + brown rice?

And for sake of comparison, are meat proteins necessarily complete? Or is it that some proteins in meat supply one or another set of amino acids and taken together they are complete? Because I sometimes mix in a bit of ground beef (72% lean, fats drained) into a rice and bean recipe.

Top Bottom