Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

raw eggs vs. Cooked

Cook 'em...

Do AllWhites need to be cooked in order to neutralize the Avidin protein which depletes Biotin? I'm a body builder and need to know.

Yes, AllWhites must be fully cooked in order for the Biotin present in egg whites to be available for absorption. In its natural raw state, avidin, a protein found in egg whites, binds with biotin (a B-vitamin). When bound to avidin, our bodies are unable to absorb biotin from the egg white. The heat treatment or pasteurization temperature of the AllWhites is not high enough to denature the avidin protein, therefore the biotin remains bound.

http://www.betterneggs.com/faq/answer.cfm?qid=17

centy said:
Jesus Christ! Wow. How's your cholesterol?

Thats what I'm sayin there is more protien in the whites and more cholesterol in the yolks...thats why I eat 5 hard boiled eggs in the morning so I can drop the yellow out and chomp down the whites.

When I was in training for my Personal Trainer Cert in Nutrition I learned that there is nearly 100% of your daily Cholesterol levels in one egg yolk!

silverskyline said:
Thats what I'm sayin there is more protien in the whites and more cholesterol in the yolks...thats why I eat 5 hard boiled eggs in the morning so I can drop the yellow out and chomp down the whites.

When I was in training for my Personal Trainer Cert in Nutrition I learned that there is nearly 100% of your daily Cholesterol levels in one egg yolk!

Yeah and you also "learned" that fat raises cholesterol and fat makes you fat. But some of what is being taught, is not up to date with reality.

Eggs' Effect on LDL Cholesterol

In the past decade, research has shown that LDL cholesterol particles vary with respect to their potential to clog arteries and cause heart disease. The particles have been classified according to their size and density, from LDL-1 to LDL-7, with LDL-1 being the largest and LDL-7 being the smallest in diameter.

Researchers say that having predominantly smaller, dense LDL particles (greater than LDL-3) is considered to be more dangerous to heart disease-related health than having mostly larger, more buoyant particles.

In this study, researchers examined the effects of adding the liquid equivalent of three whole eggs per day or a cholesterol-free, fat-free substitute to the diets of about 50 men and premenopausal women for 30 days. A large egg contains about 213 mg of cholesterol.

The study showed that eating the additional cholesterol contained in the eggs increased the proportion of large, LDL particles but did not significantly increase the proportion of the more dangerous, smaller particles.

"We also found that egg cholesterol did not impact the small, dense LDL particles among a sub-set of participants who were generally predisposed to being most sensitive to dietary cholesterol," says Fernandez.

But the study also showed that men had a higher concentration of the more harmful, small LDL particles than women regardless of the diet they followed.

The study appears in the June issue of the journal Metabolism and was supported by the American Egg Board and the University of Connecticut Research Foundation.

SOURCES: Herron, K. Metabolism, June 2004; vol 53: pp 823-830. News release, University of Connecticut.

slamminshaun said:
Cook 'em...

Do AllWhites need to be cooked in order to neutralize the Avidin protein which depletes Biotin? I'm a body builder and need to know.

Yes, AllWhites must be fully cooked in order for the Biotin present in egg whites to be available for absorption. In its natural raw state, avidin, a protein found in egg whites, binds with biotin (a B-vitamin). When bound to avidin, our bodies are unable to absorb biotin from the egg white. The heat treatment or pasteurization temperature of the AllWhites is not high enough to denature the avidin protein, therefore the biotin remains bound.

http://www.betterneggs.com/faq/answer.cfm?qid=17

This is only a problem when ingesting only raw egg whites. Since yolks are so high in Biotin content, biotin deficiency will not occur unless you are eating a large proportion of egg whites to whole egg.

st8grad said:
Yeah and you also "learned" that fat raises cholesterol and fat makes you fat. But some of what is being taught, is not up to date with reality.

Most of what is being taught at ASU when I got my AA before my BS in human nutrition and functional anatomy was pretty concurrent with reality.

Cooked or Raw, doesnt change a thing. Youll still get the same amount of protein quality. The heat tends to amke the Protein cluster, nothing to worry about raw or cooked. Cook to enjoyu, raw to save time and look like Rocky

I've read that (organic cage free) eggs have a better nutritional profile and a lower rate of salmonella.

What is a good brand for organic cage free?

Top Bottom