Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Question on water weight for those who have competed

GenetiKing

How do you handle fluid intake the last few days out from a show? Also, how much fluid do you take in the last 24 hours before a show? I've always heard that to keep from retaining fluid, take in water frequently and watch sodium but I need more specific advice on it from those who have been there. Thanks.

------------------
Backstage, '75 Olympia:

Serge Nubret, "I look like I can take you."

Arnold, "Keep looking."

I did it all wrong in '98 by water depleting. This is what i've learned by talking to several veterans and researching. Here is a little excerpt from an article that I read recently. You can find it at http://store.yahoo.com/essentialfitness/contestprep.html#05

"A common practice among novice competitors is, in an effort to remove water from their skin, to severely curtail the consumption of water for the last 24 hours prior to the show. Unfortunately, dehydrating the body, or depriving the body of its most important fluid, ultimately leads to a reduction in blood pressure which will lead to less vascularity and smaller muscles with little or no effect on "water in the skin". Once again the "do not shock the body" principle arises. Understanding that we do not want a bloated stomach on contest day, the best way to ensure this vascularity is by consuming small but frequent amounts of water that in total are close to our normal consumption. Assuming that you did not do anything stupid with your electrolytes (sodium and potassium) then any excess water will promptly be deposited in the toilet and not in your skin."

I have a show Saturday, April 14th. I've been taking in 2 gallons per day. Starting on Thursday, I'm going to just one gallon, and Friday one gallon also. Saturday morning I probably won't drink much until after prejudging, and then I only plan to sip here and there. The trick is to keep your sodium WAY low starting on Thurdsday noon.

------------------
One Rep Past Death...

Thanks, kingsquat. That was exactly what I was looking for.

------------------
Backstage, '75 Olympia:

Serge Nubret, "I look like I can take you."

Arnold, "Keep looking."

Sound advice kingsquat. This is definitely NOT a sales pitch, but just to let you know that www.anabolicfitness.com now has a board especially for competitors to ask and (hopefully ) answer questions. Might be worth checking out from time to time.

Top Bottom