Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Question: How many sets for large and small muscle groups should we do?

wake_up

Hey i have a small question for u guys:

How many reps and sets do u do when you are trying to lose weight and lose body-fat? Because i am a bit confused on this issue, some people say it's ok to train heavy [between 6 and 10 reps] and some people say its better to do 12 to 15 reps per set.

I would also like to know how many sets should we do for large muscle groups such as chest, back, shoulders, and how many sets in total for small muscle groups such as biceps and triceps

wake_up

The most important role of weights during dieting is to preserve muscle. Only weights can do this, whereas diet and cardio can be use to lose fat. I would have thought (particularly if you are doing cardio) that you should continue with the rep range you have been using to preserve muscle.

As to which rep range burns the most calories, it probably matters more what exercises you do, what breaks you take, as opposed to rep range.

For example, squats, deadlifts, lunges and power cleans would burn heaps of calories involving heaps of muscles - just use a Heart Rate monitor on your body whilst doing these, and for me at least, my heart rate ends the set if I am going all out on about 160, which for me is similar to a fast cycle or a fast paced squash game, although slightly less than a 5-10km run. Dips, rows, bench, extensions would all burn a moderate amount of calories and of course isoaltion arm exercises would burn far less than walking.

I don't know if this is accurate, but my polar heart rate monitor (and I'm not suggesting it is heaps accurate) that the 5 v 5 workout 1 for example burns about 400 calories per hour (based on a 70 kg bodyweight), whereas if I just did an arms day it probably would be about 200. I'm not sure how many calories are burnt through the supposed post weights metabolic boost, and whether this differs for different rep ranges (e.g., a rep range like 12-15 with short intervals would I guess be closer to HIT. I guess though if you were going to do high reps + small intervals rest breaks, that would burn lots of calories, but it would frustrate the weights role of muscle preservation perhaps at least IMO. Better off doing normal weights routine and actual HIT)

Out of interest, does anyone know whether the polar heart rate monitor accurate in their calorie predictions, given they do it by assessing your fitness through a fitness test, and then using this in conjuction with your pulse to determine calories burned.

Wake_up ive done some poking around and reading up on this issue. Sounds to me like all the top bodybuilders and even the real real rugged guys at my gym keep it heavy for a rep range of 6-12 reps.

Diet and cardio will help burn the fat and also just lifting will burn ya up some calories. Dont go so heavy tho that you are struggling for every rep. Handle a heavy weight that on your last 2 you are pushin out hardcore and if you have a spotter then toss in some forced reps. Only rest about 30 seconds(long enough so that if you had a partner he would finish his set then you go again)

As far as large and small muscle groups..Id say on small muscle groups since they can be worked out on other days because they are also supporting muscles id say anywhere from 3-4 separate excersizes would be ok and for larger id say anywhere from 3-5 sets would be sufficient.

I could be wrong but thats what the other brothers are here for :p

But thats what i do and ive had great success so far in producing sufficient mass without my waist getting much larger. And my strength skyrocketed.

Hello friends, thanx a lot for your great comments. Yeah i will keep lifting heavy, lowering my starchy-carbohydrates a little bit and maintaining my very low fat and high protein intake, along of course with a positive will and attitude :)

wake_up

Hells ya being positive is a big part of it bro. No matter how frusterating it is gotta look at what you were and what you have become

Top Bottom